Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default off-topic: logitech mice (MX1000)

It seems to me that this mouse sends two button events for some of the
"physical buttons". For example moving the wheel to the left reports
button press 13
button press 6
button release 6
button release 13

Similar results for the many other buttons on the beast.

Is this what the device actually does or does it signify a faulty X
setup on my part?

I have the evdev driver in my kernel.

I use xorg.conf and have
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Logitech MX1000"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

gottlieb@allan /dev/input/by-id $ ls -l /dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-event-mouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 15 11:20 /dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-event-mouse -> ../event2

thanks,
allan

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 AM
walt

It seems to me that this mouse sends two button events for some of the
"physical buttons". For example moving the wheel to the left reports
button press 13
button press 6

Identifier "Logitech MX1000"

To clarify a bit, what program are you using to identify the mouse events?

I looked up the Logitech MX 1000 on amazon.com, and the photos show only
one wheel, which is front-to-back, not left-to-right. Am I getting this
wrong?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:09:15 -0800 walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/2009 11:11 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> It seems to me that this mouse sends two button events for some of the
>> "physical buttons". For example moving the wheel to the left reports
>> button press 13
>> button press 6
>> Identifier "Logitech MX1000"
>
> To clarify a bit, what program are you using to identify the mouse events?
>
> I looked up the Logitech MX 1000 on amazon.com, and the photos show only
> one wheel, which is front-to-back, not left-to-right. Am I getting this
> wrong?

I used xev and also looked at emac's "view lossage".
The wheel rotates front-to-back, but can be pushed left or right.

If you look at the amazon page you can sort of see the left and right
arrows.

Thanks for any help you can give.
allan

Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
walt

It seems to me that this mouse sends two button events for some of the
"physical buttons". For example moving the wheel to the left reports
button press 13
button press 6
Identifier "Logitech MX1000"

To clarify a bit, what program are you using to identify the mouse events?

I looked up the Logitech MX 1000 on amazon.com, and the photos show only
one wheel, which is front-to-back, not left-to-right. Am I getting this
wrong?

I used xev and also looked at emac's "view lossage".
The wheel rotates front-to-back, but can be pushed left or right.

If you look at the amazon page you can sort of see the left and right
arrows.

I think a mouse that complicated would make me crazy. The front-back wheel
rotation should map to buttons 4 and 5. Does that part work correctly?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 11:06 -0800, walt wrote:
> > If you look at the amazon page you can sort of see the left and
> right
> > arrows.
>
> I think a mouse that complicated would make me crazy.

There was a time when Windows and Mac users criticized X11 because it
had too many buttons (3).

Nowadays, Windows users seem to require 20 different buttons, wheels,
knobs, and whatever else they can throw on a pointer device, whereas
Macs seem to want to get rid of buttons altogether but require the user
to do cartwheels and other acrobatics with their fingers in order to do
a simple cut/paste.

FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.

-a

Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Bruce Hill

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:36:45PM -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
> presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
> I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
> could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.
>
> -a

What settings do you use for all those events? I have a mouse with right/left
buttons, scroll wheel that also tilts right/left, and two side buttons.
Nothing works atm but regular right/left, scroll wheel to scroll and press to
paste, and side buttons. So scroll wheel tilt does nothing.
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 06:26 +0800, Bruce Hill wrote:
> What settings do you use for all those events? I have a mouse with
> right/left
> buttons, scroll wheel that also tilts right/left, and two side
> buttons.
> Nothing works atm but regular right/left, scroll wheel to scroll and
> press to
> paste, and side buttons. So scroll wheel tilt does nothing.

I didn't make any settings other than all of my input devices in X are
evdev managed and queried via hal.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:36:45 -0500 Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 11:06 -0800, walt wrote:
>> > If you look at the amazon page you can sort of see the left and
>> right
>> > arrows.
>>
>> I think a mouse that complicated would make me crazy.
>
> There was a time when Windows and Mac users criticized X11 because it
> had too many buttons (3).
>
> Nowadays, Windows users seem to require 20 different buttons, wheels,
> knobs, and whatever else they can throw on a pointer device, whereas
> Macs seem to want to get rid of buttons altogether but require the user
> to do cartwheels and other acrobatics with their fingers in order to do
> a simple cut/paste.
>
> FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
> presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
> I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
> could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.

Right. Mine (MX 1000) has those plus others (I inherited the mouse).
My problem is that several of these send multiple events (i.e. clicking
one physical button results in two button-down events for different X11
buttons and then the corresponding two button-up events).

I wonder how to handle this. Actually, I have trouble believing it so
wonder if I have some config wrong, but mine are very simple configs.

allan

Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:26:57 +0800 Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:36:45PM -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
>> FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
>> presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
>> I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
>> could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.
>>
>> -a
>
> What settings do you use for all those events? I have a mouse with right/left
> buttons, scroll wheel that also tilts right/left, and two side buttons.
> Nothing works atm but regular right/left, scroll wheel to scroll and press to
> paste, and side buttons. So scroll wheel tilt does nothing.

Perhaps it does something and the app ignores it.
xev will settle that question.

Also, are you using the right driver. I use xorg.conf and have

Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM
walt

FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.

Right. Mine (MX 1000) has those plus others (I inherited the mouse).
My problem is that several of these send multiple events (i.e. clicking
one physical button results in two button-down events for different X11
buttons and then the corresponding two button-up events).

That's why I was wondering if just a simple front-or-back turn of the
wheel also produces two different button events for each notch -- you
should see only button-4 events for forward and only button-5 events for
backward. (I actually see two button-4 events for each notch forward,
but the 'state' differs between the first and second event.)