Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
zhen

Default references from thunderbird

Hi.
Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
firefox? I know there are options in about:config
(network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
What else can I do to enable opening of links?

Best regards,
Zhen.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Bruce Hill

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:50:52PM +0300, zhen wrote:
> Hi.
> Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
> firefox? I know there are options in about:config
> (network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
> firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
> What else can I do to enable opening of links?
>
> Best regards,
> Zhen.

In the file .thunderbird/6cg9h9aw.default/prefs.js (replace 6cg9h9aw.default
with your profile) add these two lines:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Bruce
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes

Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
zhen

Bruce Hill wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:50:52PM +0300, zhen wrote:
>> Hi.
>> Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
>> firefox? I know there are options in about:config
>> (network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
>> firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
>> What else can I do to enable opening of links?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Zhen.
>
> In the file .thunderbird/6cg9h9aw.default/prefs.js (replace 6cg9h9aw.default
> with your profile) add these two lines:
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
>
> Bruce
Yes, these are the same settings that I set in about:config but they
didn't work for me. Also I set
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http(s) = true to be sure that
thunderbird tried to open links by showing warning message. But that
didn't help. I tried also this from command line: "/usr/bin/firefox
http://www.somesite.com" and it worked OK.

Best regards,
Zhen.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 12/15/2009 02:50 PM, zhen wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
firefox? I know there are options in about:config
(network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
What else can I do to enable opening of links?

I think you're doing it wrong (:P)

In Thunderbird's preferences, you need to go to the "Attachments" tab to
configure the "Content types". There, my setup looks like this:

http://i49.tinypic.com/m7tiiq.png

This is Thunderbird 3.0 though, I don't remember if TB 2 works the same way.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
zhen

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 02:50 PM, zhen wrote:
>> Hi.
>> Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
>> firefox? I know there are options in about:config
>> (network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
>> firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
>> What else can I do to enable opening of links?
>
> I think you're doing it wrong (:P)
>
> In Thunderbird's preferences, you need to go to the "Attachments" tab to
> configure the "Content types". There, my setup looks like this:
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/m7tiiq.png
>
> This is Thunderbird 3.0 though, I don't remember if TB 2 works the same
> way.

In tb2 it looks different, but i don't want to go to tb3 while it's not
stable.
It seems I miss something silly in my KDE environment...

Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
walt

On 12/15/2009 04:50 AM, zhen wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
firefox? I know there are options in about:config
(network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
What else can I do to enable opening of links?

It may depend on what desktop you use. In gnome, e.g., there is an item
in the System dropdown menu called "Preferred Applications" that must be
set properly because gnome (apparently) intercepts your mouse click.

I don't know if kde has such a thing, but I'm guessing it does.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 12/15/2009 07:25 PM, walt wrote:

On 12/15/2009 04:50 AM, zhen wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
firefox? I know there are options in about:config
(network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
What else can I do to enable opening of links?

It may depend on what desktop you use. In gnome, e.g., there is an item
in the System dropdown menu called "Preferred Applications" that must be
set properly because gnome (apparently) intercepts your mouse click.

I don't know if kde has such a thing, but I'm guessing it does.

It does, but Mozilla apps never honor it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
walt

On 12/15/2009 09:38 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 12/15/2009 07:25 PM, walt wrote:

On 12/15/2009 04:50 AM, zhen wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know how to make links from thunderbird to be opened in
firefox? I know there are options in about:config
(network.protocol-handler.app.http etc..). They worked before I updated
firefox to 3.5.4. At some moment I noticed I could't open links anymore.
What else can I do to enable opening of links?

It may depend on what desktop you use. In gnome, e.g., there is an item
in the System dropdown menu called "Preferred Applications" that must be
set properly because gnome (apparently) intercepts your mouse click.

I don't know if kde has such a thing, but I'm guessing it does.

It does, but Mozilla apps never honor it.

Interesting. Mozilla apps use the gnome USE flag but not the KDE flag.