Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Mick

Default Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?

On Sunday 13 December 2009 20:22:03 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I got mixed up with the various .fdi files in a previous thread, thinking
> > that this is what killed my X GUI. However, it seems that the problem is
> > most likely related to rc.conf. Has this file been done away with as far
> > as Gentoo is concerned? I say this because I discovered that running
> > dispatch.conf after sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.13 substitutes /etc/rc.conf
> > with an empty file. Mind you, even if the file contains the previous
> > information about XSESSION xdm or slim do not seem to use it now.
> >
> > If this is the case, am I right to assume that the files in
> > /etc/X11/Sessions/* are not used anymore and the solution is to set up a
> > local ~/.xinitrc file for launching the desired WM?
> >
> > I am muddled up because I have forever it seems used /etc/rc.conf to
> > manage the XSESSION which xdm would pick from /etc/X11/Sessions/* to
> > start different WMs.
> >
> > Right now I have copied the contents of /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox into
> > ~/.xinitrc, added slim's /usr/share/doc/slim-1.3.1-r4/xinitrc.sample.bz2
> > and that's how I can get fluxbox to come up.
> >
> > What is the default Gentoo way these days of bringing up an X session?
> >
> > PS. Is there a clever way of killing slim? It seems that
> > /etc/init.d/xdm stop/zap won't kill slim or the X session that it starts.
> > I need to manually run kill -9 to make it give up.
>
> Well, I'm a KDE guy myself so this may just be completely wrong here. I
> put my X stuff in /etc/conf.d/xdm and it tells what I am using for my
> GUI. Again, I don't have Fluxbox and I understand it works differently
> so this may be as far off as Pluto.

Thanks Dale,

The /etc/conf.d/xdm file, which arrived after the /etc/rc.conf days, is indeed
used to set up the Display Manager, but not the Window Manager/Display
Environment X session. The latter was being defined in rc.conf, but this I
think is no longer the case - hence I am asking here.
Mick

Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:
Thanks Dale,

The /etc/conf.d/xdm file, which arrived after the /etc/rc.conf days, is indeed
used to set up the Display Manager, but not the Window Manager/Display
Environment X session. The latter was being defined in rc.conf, but this I
think is no longer the case - hence I am asking here.

I was thinking Fluxbox used a different method but thought it worth
mentioning since looking wouldn't hurt. I see someone else posted
something so maybe that will help.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:43:41 +0000, Mick wrote:

> The /etc/conf.d/xdm file, which arrived after the /etc/rc.conf days, is
> indeed used to set up the Display Manager, but not the Window
> Manager/Display Environment X session. The latter was being defined in
> rc.conf, but this I think is no longer the case - hence I am asking
> here.

The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
system.

--
Neil Bothwick

DOS never says "EXCELLENT command or filename"...

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Patrick Holthaus

Hi!

> > Thanks Mike, most helpful! What happens if you want to switch between
> > different sessions at/from the Display Manager stage? Do you place
> > them all in /etc/env.d/90xsession ?
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that. I'm the only user on my system and
> I don't use a graphical login manager.

For example KDM (and GDM, i think) look for *.desktop files in
/usr/share/xsessions.

HTH
Patrick

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:18:56 +0000, Mick wrote:

> > The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
> > Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
> > system.

> So, where would you specify which DE/WM session the xdm Display
> Manager will load up for a specific user in a Gentoo set up?
> (assuming that there is such a thing as a Gentoo default way of doing
> this).

I used xdm once, that was more than enough. gdm and kdm both have options
to do this, as did the one whose name I cannot remember that I tried
once. Alternatively, you can use the XSESSION environment variable or use
the standard .xinitrc/.xsession way of doing things. I'd either do that
latter or use a more flexible display manager, I find xdm horrible.

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is it that when you transport something by car it's called shipment,
but when you transport it by ship it's called cargo?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:22:42 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:18:56 +0000, Mick wrote:
>
>> > The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
>> > Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
>> > system.
>
>> So, where would you specify which DE/WM session the xdm Display
>> Manager will load up for a specific user in a Gentoo set up?
>> (assuming that there is such a thing as a Gentoo default way of doing
>> this).
>
> I used xdm once, that was more than enough. gdm and kdm both have options
> to do this, as did the one whose name I cannot remember that I tried
> once. Alternatively, you can use the XSESSION environment variable or use
> the standard .xinitrc/.xsession way of doing things. I'd either do that
> latter or use a more flexible display manager, I find xdm horrible.

I use gdm and do successfully get my WM set up.

However, I would like to set (augment) PATH early so that, for example,
the gnome panel has the path and hence all the launchers do.

I know it is just one line in the shell
export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
but I don't know what file to put it in.

It would be acceptable, but not preferable, if this was set for all
users; the only requirement is that it is set for user gottlieb.

thanks,
allan

Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Mick

On Monday 14 December 2009 12:22:42 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:18:56 +0000, Mick wrote:
> > > The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
> > > Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
> > > system.
> >
> > So, where would you specify which DE/WM session the xdm Display
> > Manager will load up for a specific user in a Gentoo set up?
> > (assuming that there is such a thing as a Gentoo default way of doing
> > this).
>
> I used xdm once, that was more than enough. gdm and kdm both have options
> to do this, as did the one whose name I cannot remember that I tried
> once. Alternatively, you can use the XSESSION environment variable or use
> the standard .xinitrc/.xsession way of doing things. I'd either do that
> latter or use a more flexible display manager, I find xdm horrible.

You're right, although xdm can be beautified if you have the time or
inclination to look into /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources.

When I am looking for my XSESSION I get nothing:

$ echo $SESSION

How do I set this up, other than Mike's suggestion of '/etc/env.d/90xsession'?
Mick

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
pk

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I know it is just one line in the shell
> export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
> but I don't know what file to put it in.
>
> It would be acceptable, but not preferable, if this was set for all
> users; the only requirement is that it is set for user gottlieb.

For all users: /etc/profile (if using bourne derived shells like bash)
or
/etc/profile.csh (for c shell derivatives)

For only your user: ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc or ~/.*rc
or whatever is used for your particular shell dialect.

HTH

Best regards

Peter K

Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:55:35 +0100 pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I know it is just one line in the shell
>> export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
>> but I don't know what file to put it in.
>>
>> It would be acceptable, but not preferable, if this was set for all
>> users; the only requirement is that it is set for user gottlieb.
>
> For all users: /etc/profile (if using bourne derived shells like bash)
> or
> /etc/profile.csh (for c shell derivatives)
>
> For only your user: ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc or ~/.*rc
> or whatever is used for your particular shell dialect.
>
> HTH

Does that get sourced by the gnome panel so that launchers see it?
I hadn't thought so, but will try it.
Thanks.
allan

Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM