Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Mike Mazur

Default Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?

Hi,

I ran across this issue last night.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:30, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> If this is the case, am I right to assume that the files in
> /etc/X11/Sessions/* are not used anymore and the solution is to set up a local
> ~/.xinitrc file for launching the desired WM?

The scripts in /etc/X11/Sessions/ can still be used.

> I am muddled up because I have forever it seems used /etc/rc.conf to manage
> the XSESSION which xdm would pick from /etc/X11/Sessions/* to start different
> WMs.

At some point /etc/rc.conf was no longer being sourced. Instead,
setting the XSESSION variable in /etc/env.d is the correct way to do
it. From the pkg_postinst section of the x11-apps/xinit ebuild[1]:

ewarn "If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,"
ewarn "you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or"
ewarn "any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the
login session."
ewarn "You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire system,"
ewarn "or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other shells)."
ewarn "Here's an example of setting it for the whole system:"
ewarn " echo XSESSION="Gnome" > /etc/env.d/90xsession"
ewarn " env-update && source /etc/profile"

So, creating /etc/env.d/90xsession with the contents XSESSION="Gnome"
(I use Gnome) did the trick.

Hope that helps,
Mike

[1] http://gentoo-portage.com/AJAX/Ebuild/100485/View

Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Mick

2009/12/13 Mike Mazur <mmazur@gmail.com>:

> I ran across this issue last night.
>
> At some point /etc/rc.conf was no longer being sourced. Instead,
> setting the XSESSION variable in /etc/env.d is the correct way to do
> it. From the pkg_postinst section of the x11-apps/xinit ebuild[1]:
>
> * * * *ewarn "If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,"
> * * * *ewarn "you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or"
> * * * *ewarn "any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the
> login session."
> * * * *ewarn "You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire system,"
> * * * *ewarn "or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other shells)."
> * * * *ewarn "Here's an example of setting it for the whole system:"
> * * * *ewarn " * *echo XSESSION="Gnome" > /etc/env.d/90xsession"
> * * * *ewarn " * *env-update && source /etc/profile"
>
> So, creating /etc/env.d/90xsession with the contents XSESSION="Gnome"
> (I use Gnome) did the trick.

Thanks Mike, most helpful! What happens if you want to switch between
different sessions at/from the Display Manager stage? Do you place
them all in /etc/env.d/90xsession ?
Mick

Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Mick

2009/12/13 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:43:41 +0000, Mick wrote:
>
>> The /etc/conf.d/xdm file, which arrived after the /etc/rc.conf days, is
>> indeed used to set up the Display Manager, but not the Window
>> Manager/Display Environment X session. *The latter was being defined in
>> rc.conf, but this I think is no longer the case - hence I am asking
>> here.
>
> The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
> Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
> system.

Thanks Neil,

So, where would you specify which DE/WM session the xdm Display
Manager will load up for a specific user in a Gentoo set up?
(assuming that there is such a thing as a Gentoo default way of doing
this).
Mick

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Mike Mazur

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 19:17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/13 Mike Mazur <mmazur@gmail.com>:
>
>> I ran across this issue last night.
>>
>> At some point /etc/rc.conf was no longer being sourced. Instead,
>> setting the XSESSION variable in /etc/env.d is the correct way to do
>> it. From the pkg_postinst section of the x11-apps/xinit ebuild[1]:
>>
>> * * * *ewarn "If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,"
>> * * * *ewarn "you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or"
>> * * * *ewarn "any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the
>> login session."
>> * * * *ewarn "You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire system,"
>> * * * *ewarn "or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other shells)."
>> * * * *ewarn "Here's an example of setting it for the whole system:"
>> * * * *ewarn " * *echo XSESSION="Gnome" > /etc/env.d/90xsession"
>> * * * *ewarn " * *env-update && source /etc/profile"
>>
>> So, creating /etc/env.d/90xsession with the contents XSESSION="Gnome"
>> (I use Gnome) did the trick.
>
> Thanks Mike, most helpful! *What happens if you want to switch between
> different sessions at/from the Display Manager stage? *Do you place
> them all in /etc/env.d/90xsession ?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that. I'm the only user on my system and
I don't use a graphical login manager.

Mike

Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 AM
daid kahl

2009/12/14 Mike Mazur <mmazur@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 19:17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/12/13 Mike Mazur <mmazur@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I ran across this issue last night.
>>>
>>> At some point /etc/rc.conf was no longer being sourced. Instead,
>>> setting the XSESSION variable in /etc/env.d is the correct way to do
>>> it. From the pkg_postinst section of the x11-apps/xinit ebuild[1]:
>>>
>>> * * * *ewarn "If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,"
>>> * * * *ewarn "you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or"
>>> * * * *ewarn "any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the
>>> login session."
>>> * * * *ewarn "You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire system,"
>>> * * * *ewarn "or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other shells)."
>>> * * * *ewarn "Here's an example of setting it for the whole system:"
>>> * * * *ewarn " * *echo XSESSION="Gnome" > /etc/env.d/90xsession"
>>> * * * *ewarn " * *env-update && source /etc/profile"
>>>
>>> So, creating /etc/env.d/90xsession with the contents XSESSION="Gnome"
>>> (I use Gnome) did the trick.
>>
>> Thanks Mike, most helpful! *What happens if you want to switch between
>> different sessions at/from the Display Manager stage? *Do you place
>> them all in /etc/env.d/90xsession ?
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that. I'm the only user on my system and
> I don't use a graphical login manager.
>
> Mike

This post might go without saying...

You can just set this up in ~/.xinitrc then.

exec startxfce4

or whatever...

Regards,
daid

Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Marcus Wanner

You can just set this up in ~/.xinitrc then.

exec startxfce4

(that's actually startxfce)