Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Mick

Default Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?

Hi All,

I got mixed up with the various .fdi files in a previous thread, thinking that
this is what killed my X GUI. However, it seems that the problem is most
likely related to rc.conf. Has this file been done away with as far as Gentoo
is concerned? I say this because I discovered that running dispatch.conf
after sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.13 substitutes /etc/rc.conf with an empty file.
Mind you, even if the file contains the previous information about XSESSION
xdm or slim do not seem to use it now.

If this is the case, am I right to assume that the files in
/etc/X11/Sessions/* are not used anymore and the solution is to set up a local
~/.xinitrc file for launching the desired WM?

I am muddled up because I have forever it seems used /etc/rc.conf to manage
the XSESSION which xdm would pick from /etc/X11/Sessions/* to start different
WMs.

Right now I have copied the contents of /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox into
~/.xinitrc, added slim's /usr/share/doc/slim-1.3.1-r4/xinitrc.sample.bz2 and
that's how I can get fluxbox to come up.

What is the default Gentoo way these days of bringing up an X session?

PS. Is there a clever way of killing slim? It seems that /etc/init.d/xdm
stop/zap won't kill slim or the X session that it starts. I need to manually
run kill -9 to make it give up.
Mick

Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm a KDE guy myself so this may just be completely wrong here. I
put my X stuff in /etc/conf.d/xdm and it tells what I am using for my
GUI. Again, I don't have Fluxbox and I understand it works differently
so this may be as far off as Pluto.

Dale

:-) :-)