Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 AM

Default emerge is loosing memory?

Hi,

it seems, something has screwed up my system.

The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
updated.

And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
that the
eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
has "killed" it.

Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
what is going wrong here.

What can I do to fix this problem ?

Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
mcc

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems, something has screwed up my system.
>
> The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
> successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
> Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
> updated.
>
> And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
> and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
> but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
> that the
> eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
> has "killed" it.
>
> Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
> data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
> what is going wrong here.
>
> What can I do to fix this problem ?
>
> Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
> mcc

fsck your partition containing /var.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Mick

On Sunday 13 December 2009 12:36:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems, something has screwed up my system.
> >
> > The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
> > successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
> > Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
> > updated.
> >
> > And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
> > and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
> > but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
> > that the
> > eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
> > has "killed" it.
> >
> > Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
> > data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
> > what is going wrong here.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this problem ?
> >
> > Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
> > mcc
>
> fsck your partition containing /var.

and also check that you have not run out of disk space.
Mick

Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 13:40]:
> On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems, something has screwed up my system.
> >
> > The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
> > successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
> > Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
> > updated.
> >
> > And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
> > and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
> > but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
> > that the
> > eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
> > has "killed" it.
> >
> > Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
> > data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
> > what is going wrong here.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this problem ?
> >
> > Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
> > mcc
> >

> fsck your partition containing /var.

Hi,

as soon I do the command sequence described above, qsearch fails with

opening '/usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x' failed: Permission denied
search: initialize_flat(): You should run this command as root: q -m

and an

sudo ls /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x

fails with

ls: cannot access /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x: No such file or directory

There is no symlink to /var and subfolders as far as I can see...

What part/file is on /var/... which gets corrupted in case of an
filesystem damage ?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 13:40]:
> > On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it seems, something has screwed up my system.
> > >
> > > The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
> > > successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
> > > Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
> > > updated.
> > >
> > > And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
> > > and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
> > > but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
> > > that the
> > > eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
> > > has "killed" it.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
> > > data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
> > > what is going wrong here.
> > >
> > > What can I do to fix this problem ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
> > > mcc
> >
> > fsck your partition containing /var.
>
> Hi,
>
> as soon I do the command sequence described above, qsearch fails with
>

> opening '/usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x' failed: Permission denied
> search: initialize_flat(): You should run this command as root: q -m
>
> and an
>
> sudo ls /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x
>
> fails with
>
> ls: cannot access /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x: No such file
> or directory
>
> There is no symlink to /var and subfolders as far as I can see...
>
> What part/file is on /var/... which gets corrupted in case of an
> filesystem damage ?

how long are you using linux?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [09-12-13 15:04]:
> On Sunday 13 December 2009 12:36:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it seems, something has screwed up my system.
> > >
> > > The symptoms are: Updateing a certain package with emerge (which
> > > successfully compile and install that package) has no effect.
> > > Next time exactly the same package is reported again as to be
> > > updated.
> > >
> > > And qsearch reports that my metadatabase has gone with the wind
> > > and I have to do a 'w -m' as root, which helps for that moment,
> > > but next it is again not present. I think (read:dont know for sure)
> > > that the
> > > eix-sync && emerge -pv --verbose --update --deep world
> > > has "killed" it.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I am not that deeply involved in the internal
> > > data handling of the gentoo package manager to have an idea
> > > what is going wrong here.
> > >
> > > What can I do to fix this problem ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards and have a nice weekend!
> > > mcc
> >
> > fsck your partition containing /var.
>
> and also check that you have not run out of disk space.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

...was my first idea...no nothing ... plenty of space...

Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 14:28]:
> On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 13:40]:

> > > fsck your partition containing /var.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > as soon I do the command sequence described above, qsearch fails with
> >

> > opening '/usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x' failed: Permission denied
> > search: initialize_flat(): You should run this command as root: q -m
> >
> > and an
> >
> > sudo ls /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x
> >
> > fails with
> >
> > ls: cannot access /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x: No such file
> > or directory
> >
> > There is no symlink to /var and subfolders as far as I can see...
> >
> > What part/file is on /var/... which gets corrupted in case of an
> > filesystem damage ?
> >

> how long are you using linux?

15 years ... but what does this matter?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 14:28]:
> > On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 13:40]:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as soon I do the command sequence described above, qsearch fails with
> > >

> > > opening '/usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x' failed: Permission
> > > denied search: initialize_flat(): You should run this command as root:
> > > q -m
> > >
> > > and an
> > >
> > > sudo ls /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x
> > >
> > > fails with
> > >
> > > ls: cannot access /usr/portage/metadata/cache/.metadata.x: No such
> > > file or directory
> > >
> > > There is no symlink to /var and subfolders as far as I can see...
> > >
> > > What part/file is on /var/... which gets corrupted in case of an
> > > filesystem damage ?
> >
> > how long are you using linux?
>
> 15 years ... but what does this matter?

then you should know where /var is. or /usr/portage.

fsck /var, fsck the partition containing /usr/portage

Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 15:24]:
> On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 14:28]:

> > > how long are you using linux?
> >
> > 15 years ... but what does this matter?
> >

> then you should know where /var is. or /usr/portage.
>
> fsck /var, fsck the partition containing /usr/portage

...and you read posting more carefully: I wrote "part" not "part." ...

Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 15:24]:
>> On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>> > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [09-12-13 14:28]:

>> > 15 years ... but what does this matter?
>> >

>> then you should know where /var is. or /usr/portage.
>>
>> fsck /var, fsck the partition containing /usr/portage
>>

> ...and you read posting more carefully: I wrote "part" not "part." ...
>
> --
> Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
> unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
> In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.

/var/db/pkg
/var/lib/portage

--
Poison [BLX]