Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Mick

Default xorg-server-1.6.5-r1 'Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap'

2009/12/11 dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net>:
> Is evdev complied into your kernel? *It should be.

Yes, it is, I have INPUT_EVDEV = y

Mick

Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Mick

On 12/12/2009, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2009 12:55 AM, Mick wrote:
>> Not sure if it is related but I am getting this:

>> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libltdl.so.3 is not a symbolic link
>>
>> What does this mean? revdep-rebuild does not show anything needing to
>> be rebuilt.
>
> That must be a very old file. Here's what I have:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41652 2009-12-08 06:30 /usr/lib/libltdl.a
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 919 2009-12-08 06:30 /usr/lib/libltdl.la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-12-08 06:31 /usr/lib/libltdl.so ->
> libltdl.so.7.2.1*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-12-08 06:31 /usr/lib/libltdl.so.7 ->
> libltdl.so.7.2.1*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34252 2009-12-08 06:30 /usr/lib/libltdl.so.7.2.1*

Mine are slightly different. I also have /usr/lib/lbltdl.so.0 ->
libltdl.so.0.1.2 and also have

libltdl.so.0.1.2
libltdl.so.3
libltdl.so.3.1.0

> If you also have these files then just delete the so.3 version.

Thanks, I'll check for dependencies and then remove them.

>> Otherwise, I've downgraded xkbcomp with no joy and now I am
>> downgrading xorg-server to see if this has any effect.
>
> I'm struggling to understand all the keyboard stuff too. Do you still
> use an xorg.conf file? If you are using evdev then you should not be
> using the xf86-input-mouse or xf86-input-keyboard drivers, just the
> xf86-input-evdev driver. I have the entire input section of xorg.conf
> commented out and evdev seems to be the default input driver now.

I have had mouse, keyboard and synaptics along with evdev in my
INPUT_DEVICES and have emerged relative drivers. I am now going to
remove them and see what gives.

I am not clear which /etc/hal/fdi/policy/* files I should have in
there ... any ideas?

> I'll bet xdm is hiding the really helpful error messages, so I would
> shut off xdm and use startx to see if you get any better information.

Thanks, will try that too.
Mick

Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Mick

On 12/12/2009, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2009 03:14 PM, Mick wrote:

>> I have had mouse, keyboard and synaptics along with evdev in my
>> INPUT_DEVICES and have emerged relative drivers. I am now going to
>> remove them and see what gives.
>
> I know nothing about the synaptics driver, so be careful about deleting
> it. Maybe rename it instead of deleting it?

Nope, unmerged it and deleted it from make.conf, then when I emerged
xf86-video-ati and evdev all other drivers (mouse, keyboard,
synaptics) were brought in as well.

>> I am not clear which /etc/hal/fdi/policy/* files I should have in
>> there ... any ideas?
>
> That depends on what hardware you have -- a lot of the stuff that once
> went into xorg.conf can be put in an fdi file now.
>
> Here is an example:

Thanks for that.

I tried the startx trick. I recall that this would launch my WM
(fluxbox), but now all I get is an X session with twm! Has something
changed with /etc/rc.conf? Where should I specify fluxbox?

No /var/log/xdm.log or other errors were there this time. Trying to
start xdm and I keep getting the same old errors:

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server (:0.0)

and

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard.

I am running out of things to try now. I don't have a recent enough
back up otherwise I would roll back this bad experience.
Mick

Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Dale

Mick wrote:

[...]

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot but this may help. Do
a emerge -epv world and see if you see any changes there. It may be a
USE flag change or it may be something else that you notice. It's just
a pretend so it shouldn't take but a few minutes. May need to use
'less' or 'more' to scroll through the output easier.

I hope that shows something that will help.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Mick

2009/12/13 walt <w41ter@gmail.com>:
> On 12/12/2009 04:20 PM, Mick wrote:

>> I tried the startx trick. *I recall that this would launch my WM
>> (fluxbox), but now all I get is an X session with twm! *Has something
>> changed with /etc/rc.conf? *Where should I specify fluxbox?
>
> That twm session is the default (see end of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc)
> if you don't specify what you really want. *The xdm display manager
> checks in ~/.xsession for the stuff you want to run (i.e. fluxbox),
> but startx uses the file ~/.xinitrc for the same purpose. *You could
> probably just copy .xsession to .xinitrc for starters.

OK, but I never had set up ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc files. This is a
single user machine. As far as I can recall I had only set up in
/etc/rc.conf the parameter XSESSION="fluxbox", which looked in
/etc/X11/Sessions/ and ran the fluxbox configuration file that I had
in there.

Looking at /etc/conf.d/xdm I see this:
# What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-4.3 | gpe
| entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
In that file I have specified DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm". Again as far as I
recall this is how I had set things up, so I am not sure what has
changed recently.

Setting a ~/.xinitrc file with 'exec startfluxbox' in it starts
fluxbox nicely if I run startx from the console - but this is not the
same session that I would get which would also include xconsole. I
found these messages now, but no significant errors:
Setting CPU scaling governor "performance" for CPU 1...
could not open file
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor for writing!
failed setting 'performance' CPUfreq governor!
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableMove
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableResize
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.tooltipDelay
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap
Setting default value
[...]
Failed to read: session.screen0.slit.acceptKdeDockapps
Setting default value

So, what would be the way to start xdm and have xdm starting fluxbox?
Mick