Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Erik

Default Which LiveCD for Intel Core2 Duo?

I will install Gentoo Linux on a Dell laptop with Intel Core2 Dua and
8GiB RAM. I tried 2 different LiveCDs. x86 boots fine, but does not seem
to find all memory. IA64 does not boot. Are there hidden versions like
x86_64?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 11 December 2009 14:00:22 Erik wrote:
> I will install Gentoo Linux on a Dell laptop with Intel Core2 Dua and
> 8GiB RAM. I tried 2 different LiveCDs. x86 boots fine, but does not seem
> to find all memory. IA64 does not boot. Are there hidden versions like
> x86_64?

IA64 is for a completely different processor - Itanium.

Do you have an HP SuperDome? No? Then you can't run IA64.

You want amd64

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Sebastian Beßler

Am 11.12.2009 13:00, schrieb Erik:
> I will install Gentoo Linux on a Dell laptop with Intel Core2 Dua and
> 8GiB RAM. I tried 2 different LiveCDs. x86 boots fine, but does not seem
> to find all memory. IA64 does not boot. Are there hidden versions like
> x86_64?

Hi,

you need the amd64 LiveCD.
IA64 is for Itanium Server and not compatible for normal desktop 64bit PCs.

Even if the name amd64 suggests that it is only for amd cpus you can and
must use this even for intel cpus because amd produced the first 64bit
desktop pcs and Intel now is amd64-compatible.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
"Zeerak Waseem"

Well, if you wantto install a 64bit env. then you have to use the AMD64
livecd. IA64 isn't the 64bit architecture :-)

Zeerak