Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Willie Wong

Default Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:36:41AM +0000, Penguin Lover Alan Mackenzie squawked:
> How did this breakage happen? I would guess that at the time the
> installation procedure was devised, this line
>
> # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>
> worked perfectly OK, since /dev didn't have any subdirectories. Some
> time recently, /dev acquired subdirectories (e.g. /dev/pts), but nobody
> realised this would render the chrooted system less capable.

Just to be pedantic.

Not subdirectories. 'mount --bind' binds the directory tree. What /dev
picked up was submounts, which is why you issued 'mount --rbind' as a
workaround. (The mount manpage I think has something about devpts.)

I wonder if 'mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts' is a better workaround
for your problem, though.

Cheers,

M: Hot almond milk. Best stuff on earth.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1098 days, 14:03