Old 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM
James

Default 3D on ATI

Hello everyone,

I just saw something very interesting about kernel 2.6.32:

"3D graphics on AMD/ATI's series 2000, 3000 and 4000 Radeon graphics cards.
Improving 3D graphics support should help improve Linux' standing as a gaming
platform, among other benefits."

"performing mode-setting for graphics card resolution and
depth mode settings in kernel-space offers advantages over
user-based mode-setting"[1]

Anyone seen any improvements yet? Is it just for the ati-drivers or
does any of the open source drivers make use of these kernel
enhancements?

[1] http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Linux-2632/?kc=LNXDEVNL120909

James

Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Jesús Guerrero

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:40:29 +0000 (UTC), James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I just saw something very interesting about kernel 2.6.32:
>
> "3D graphics on AMD/ATI's series 2000, 3000 and 4000 Radeon graphics
cards.
> Improving 3D graphics support should help improve Linux' standing as a
> gaming
> platform, among other benefits."
>

> "performing mode-setting for graphics card resolution and
> depth mode settings in kernel-space offers advantages over
> user-based mode-setting"[1]
>
> Anyone seen any improvements yet? Is it just for the ati-drivers or
> does any of the open source drivers make use of these kernel
> enhancements?

I can only talk about my experience, I have no direct knowledge about what
changes at source code level.

The two brands where you are likely to see more improvement are Intel and
Ati. Overall, Ati, because its 3d support for anything above the r500 chips
is still nowhere never complete, so on each release you are likely to see
some noticeable advances on r6xx and r7xx chips. Some basic 3d applications
will work, some others will exhibit weird behavior or will fail to run at
all. This is only for the radeon and radeonhd drivers. The ati proprietary
blob uses its own drm just like nvidia does.

However, in which regards 3d, you are not likely to see anything working
at all unless you use a git libdrm, mesa and xf86-video-ati (or radeonhd)
in conjunction with this new kernel. The kernel alone by itself doesn't do
any 3d work, it just provides a convenient way for applications to access
the hardware on a straight way.
--
Jesús Guerrero