FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Valmor de Almeida
 
Default problem with install-x86-minimal-20091103

Hello,

I just burned the install-x86-minimal-20091103 iso on a cd and tried to boot a relatively old machine with it.

Here is where it stops

>> Mounting the squashfs filesystem
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: Invalid argument

!! Failed to $1; failing back to the shell...

Also, somewhere at the top of the screen output during the boot process it says this is a LiveCD? I am confused here. Wasn't the minimal iso not Live in the past?


Thanks for inputs.

--
Valmor
 
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Stroller
 
Default problem with install-x86-minimal-20091103

On 10 Dec 2009, at 03:07, Valmor de Almeida wrote:...I just burned the install-x86-minimal-20091103 iso on a cd and tried to boot a relatively old machine with it.

Here is where it stops
...
Have you tried SystemRescueCD?
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Also, somewhere at the top of the screen output during the boot process it says this is a LiveCD? I am confused here. Wasn't the minimal iso not Live in the past?

I think this may depend upon your definition of a "LiveCD". To me it is an operating system which boots from CD & which requires no hard-drive.
Stroller.
 
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Valmor de Almeida
 
Default problem with install-x86-minimal-20091103

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:


On 10 Dec 2009, at 03:07, Valmor de Almeida wrote:...I just burned the install-x86-minimal-20091103 iso on a cd and tried to boot a relatively old machine with it.


Here is where it stops
...
Have you tried SystemRescueCD?
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

Thanks; never tried; always used the gentoo minimal


Also, somewhere at the top of the screen output during the boot process it says this is a LiveCD? I am confused here. Wasn't the minimal iso not Live in the past?


I think this may depend upon your definition of a "LiveCD". To me it is an operating system which boots from CD & which requires no hard-drive.

Stroller.
*Right. I meant the Live version that comes with a X Window login manager, etc.

Thanks,

--
Valmor
 
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Joshua Murphy
 
Default problem with install-x86-minimal-20091103

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 10 Dec 2009, at 03:07, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>
>> ...
>>
>> I just burned the install-x86-minimal-20091103 iso on a cd and tried to
>> boot a relatively old machine with it.
>>
>> Here is where it stops
>>
>> ...
>>
>> Have you tried SystemRescueCD?
>> http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
>
> Thanks; never tried; always used the gentoo minimal
>>
>> Also, somewhere at the top of the screen output during the boot process it
>> says this is a LiveCD? I am confused here. Wasn't the minimal iso not Live
>> in the past?
>>
>> I think this may depend upon your definition of a "LiveCD". To me it is an
>> operating system which boots from CD & which requires no hard-drive.
>> Stroller.
>
>
> Right. I meant the Live version that comes with a X Window login manager,
> etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor
>

One note about sysresccd, while I do nearly all of my installs from it
(working from a likely out of date copy, so unsure how much this still
applies) anymore, I've run across a small issue between its use of zsh
and emerging some packages. Most recently, it bit me while getting one
of the dependencies to nfs-progs built so my new system would be able
to get to my portage tree share on its own after the reboot. This bug
(closed as RESOLVED - INVALID, since it's not actually a bug with
Gentoo in the eyes of the Devs):
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=271942 details it further and
gives a couple options on fixing it, should you run into it at all.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy
 
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Dan Wallis
 
Default problem with install-x86-minimal-20091103

On 10/12/2009, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
> One note about sysresccd, while I do nearly all of my installs from it
> (working from a likely out of date copy, so unsure how much this still
> applies) anymore, I've run across a small issue between its use of zsh
> and emerging some packages. Most recently, it bit me while getting one
> of the dependencies to nfs-progs built so my new system would be able
> to get to my portage tree share on its own after the reboot. This bug
> (closed as RESOLVED - INVALID, since it's not actually a bug with
> Gentoo in the eyes of the Devs):
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=271942 details it further and
> gives a couple options on fixing it, should you run into it at all.

It's probably worth mentioning this on the "New eselesct module for
/bin/sh" bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214817

If there are things that break when /bin/sh is not bash, then it's
worth noting them, and probably fixing the root cause too.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org