Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default went from x86 to ~x86: no more X11

Greets, gentoo-users,

I wanted to go to full ~x86 on my thinkpad these days, so I started with
an "emerge -avu system" and after a successful reboot I did "emerge
-avuDN world".

X11 didn't come up anymore ... I even tried a "emerge -e world", just to
"get it right" but still no luck.

See my Xorg.0.log: http://dpaste.com/130873/

I regenerated xorg.conf by running nvidia-xconfig, I removed xorg.conf
for a test (leads to a segfault!) ... I for sure rebuilt all my
xf86-drivers. No luck so far.

Any idea on what to try? That RECORD-extension topic seems to just be a
warning, correct?

Thanks, Stefan

Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Greets, gentoo-users,
>
> I wanted to go to full ~x86 on my thinkpad these days, so I started with
> an "emerge -avu system" and after a successful reboot I did "emerge
> -avuDN world".
>
> X11 didn't come up anymore ... I even tried a "emerge -e world", just to
> "get it right" but still no luck.
>
> See my Xorg.0.log: http://dpaste.com/130873/
>
> I regenerated xorg.conf by running nvidia-xconfig, I removed xorg.conf
> for a test (leads to a segfault!) ... I for sure rebuilt all my
> xf86-drivers. No luck so far.
>
> Any idea on what to try? That RECORD-extension topic seems to just be a
> warning, correct?
>
> Thanks, Stefan

Looking at that log, my first question is... does your thinkpad run
1680x1050? The RECORD disable shouldn't make a difference on X
actually loading, based on the message it gives, and the (EE) lines
about dri/dri2 shouldn't be an issue with nvidia drivers if I recall
(my box with an nvidia card's down at the moment, and it's on a
slightly older version of X and nvidia drivers, old hardware as it
is). Also, is this with or without hal & dbus? newest few versions of
X were finicky with me about running -hal, but work fine with +hal (as
long as hal is running as well).

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Joshua Murphy schrieb:

> Looking at that log, my first question is... does your thinkpad run
> 1680x1050?

Yes. ThinkPad R61 ...

> The RECORD disable shouldn't make a difference on X
> actually loading, based on the message it gives, and the (EE) lines
> about dri/dri2 shouldn't be an issue with nvidia drivers if I recall
> (my box with an nvidia card's down at the moment, and it's on a
> slightly older version of X and nvidia drivers, old hardware as it
> is).

dri/dri2-warnings were there before as well, yes ...

And the RECORD-message is in the log of my (working) ~amd64-box as well.

> Also, is this with or without hal & dbus? newest few versions of
> X were finicky with me about running -hal, but work fine with +hal (as
> long as hal is running as well).

hald and dbus running, xorg-server with +hal.

thank you, Stefan

Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
walt

I wanted to go to full ~x86 on my thinkpad these days, so I started with
an "emerge -avu system" and after a successful reboot I did "emerge
-avuDN world".

X11 didn't come up anymore ... I even tried a "emerge -e world", just to
"get it right" but still no luck.

See my Xorg.0.log: http://dpaste.com/130873/

Looks to me like the X server *is* running, unless you left out the error
message at the end of the log. Why do you say X didn't come up? How are
you starting the x session? You might try the vesa driver just to see if
there is a difference.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 09.12.2009 01:24, schrieb walt:

> Looks to me like the X server *is* running, unless you left out the error
> message at the end of the log.

No, nothing left out.

> Why do you say X didn't come up?

Because it says so. I get that dialog "X-Server could not be started"
(similar, I get the msg in german language here). It let's me see
Xorg.0.log then ...

> How are you starting the x session?

/etc/init.d/xdm ... with DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm

gdm was built after xorg-server, I read somewhere that this might be an
issue.

But you are right, it might be more of a gnome-issue:

I tested DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" now, X is coming up and lets me log in ...
but I only get some ugly and very simple desktop (xsm ...). This only as
a test ...

So it seems more gdm/gnome-related to me, right?

> You might try the vesa driver just to see if
> there is a difference.

hmm, yep, will try that.

Thanks, Stefan

Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
walt

I tested DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" now, X is coming up and lets me log in ...
but I only get some ugly and very simple desktop (xsm ...). This only as
a test ...

So it seems more gdm/gnome-related to me, right?

That would be my guess. I don't use gdm so I don't know how to fix it.
I use startx with "exec /etc/X11/Sessions/gnome" in my ~/.xinitrc. You
could try that to see if gnome starts correctly.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 09.12.2009 16:31, schrieb walt:

>> So it seems more gdm/gnome-related to me, right?
>
> That would be my guess. I don't use gdm so I don't know how to fix it.
> I use startx with "exec /etc/X11/Sessions/gnome" in my ~/.xinitrc. You
> could try that to see if gnome starts correctly.

Yep, that works!

So I could see how to always start X via startx or research where gdm
fails. Thanks for helping me this step further ...

Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Joshua Murphy

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 09.12.2009 16:31, schrieb walt:
>
>>> So it seems more gdm/gnome-related to me, right?
>>
>> That would be my guess. *I don't use gdm so I don't know how to fix it.
>> I use startx with "exec /etc/X11/Sessions/gnome" in my ~/.xinitrc. You
>> could try that to see if gnome starts correctly.
>
> Yep, that works!
>
> So I could see how to always start X via startx or research where gdm
> fails. Thanks for helping me this step further ...

Well, on my netbook, where I have to give a passphrase to access the
encrypted root anyhow (and am, therefore, not terribly interested in
typing yet more passwords moments later), I have this...

in /etc/inittab:
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
c7:345:respawn:/usr/sbin/auto_start_x.sh

and /usr/sbin/auto_start_x.sh:
#!/bin/bash
ASXFILE="/var/run/asx.pid"
if [ ! -r /etc/nologin ] ; then
if [ -f $ASXFILE ] ; then
XPID=`head -1 $ASXFILE`
if NAME=`ps -p $XPID -o command=` ; then
OLDNAME=`tail -1 $ASXFILE`
if [ "$NAME" == "$OLDNAME" ] ; then
sleep 5
exit 1
else
rm -f $ASXFILE &>/dev/null
fi
else
rm -f $ASXFILE &>/dev/null
fi
fi

/bin/su myuser -l -c "startx >/dev/null 2>&1" &
XPID=$!
NAME=`ps -p $XPID -o command=`
echo $XPID > $ASXFILE
echo $NAME >> $ASXFILE
wait $XPID
exit $?
fi
# ** End auto_start_x.sh

Respawns on close/crash... doesn't allow attempts to start more than
once (hence the 'lockfile' type hack in the script), doesn't break on
a stale lockfile, and does whatever the user ('myuser' should be
replaced with a real username) wishes in terms of WM/desktop by way of
the user's ~/.xinitrc ... and all without ever asking me for a user
password.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 10.12.2009 05:41, schrieb Joshua Murphy:

> # auto_start_x.sh

Thanks for that! I will maybe set that up but shouldn't gdm work as
well? I mean it doesn't crash for *all* ~x86-users, correct?

;-) Stefan

Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Joshua Murphy

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 10.12.2009 05:41, schrieb Joshua Murphy:
>
>> # auto_start_x.sh
>
> Thanks for that! I will maybe set that up but shouldn't gdm work as
> well? I mean it doesn't crash for *all* ~x86-users, correct?
>
> ;-) Stefan

I'd expect it to be a lot noisier around here if it did ... but beyond
that, I dunno... I don't use it!

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy