Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Xavier Parizet

Default Python 2.7 support

Hi list,

I eard some (long) time ago that portage is not compatible with python 2.7, so i
masked it (python) in /etc/portage/package.mask. What i would like to know now
is is portage now compatible with this version of python ? Or if not, where can
i follow the status of this compatibility ? I looked on b.g.o but didn't find
anything related to this.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Xavier Parizet
YaGB : http://gentooist.com

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 07 December 2009 11:28:07 Xavier Parizet wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I eard some (long) time ago that portage is not compatible with python 2.7,
> so i masked it (python) in /etc/portage/package.mask. What i would like to
> know now is is portage now compatible with this version of python ? Or if
> not, where can i follow the status of this compatibility ? I looked on
> b.g.o but didn't find anything related to this.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

There is no python-2.7

I think you mean python-3.0

Once you make this change, google will tell you what you need to know

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Thorsten Kampe

* Xavier Parizet (Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:28:07 +0100)

> I eard some (long) time ago that portage is not compatible with python 2.7, so i
> masked it (python) in /etc/portage/package.mask. What i would like to know now
> is is portage now compatible with this version of python ? Or if not, where can
> i follow the status of this compatibility ? I looked on b.g.o but didn't find
> anything related to this.

Don't waste your or our time by trying to install alpha packages.

Thorsten

Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 10:28 +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I eard [sic] some (long) time ago that portage is not compatible with python 2.7, so i
> masked it (python) in /etc/portage/package.mask. What i would like to know now
> is is portage now compatible with this version of python ? Or if not, where can
> i follow the status of this compatibility ? I looked on b.g.o but didn't find
> anything related to this.

There is no python 2.7 (well, 2.7 alpha 1 was released a few days ago).

What you "heard", actually what portage tells you is this.

* Most programs do not work with Python 3.x yet
* You should not "eselect python set 3.x" (i.e. set your system
python to 3.x)
* You should definitely *not* unmerge python 2.x
* It's perfectly fine to have 2.x and 3.x installed at the same
time (they are in different slots) so long as your system python
remains 2.x

In addition, portage (at least the 2.2-rc series) has a python3 USE
flag, which means portage *is* designed to work with Python 3.x. It's
still in development, but I've been using it for a while. Once in a
while I've run into a bug, reported it and it got fixed. I haven't had
any issues with it in a while though.

You probably didn't find anything at b.g.o because it's not a bug. It's
a feature ;-) (and also because you got your information wrong). So
there's no reason to mask python3 (unless you want to). If it were
buggy the Gentoo devs would have masked it for you ;-)

-a

Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Dale

Albert Hopkins wrote:

If it were
buggy the Gentoo devs would have masked it for you ;-)

-a

And they devs have done so. Python 3 is masked and even keyworded. It
is a hint at least.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Xavier Parizet

Dale a écrit :
> Albert Hopkins wrote:
>>
>> If it were
>> buggy the Gentoo devs would have masked it for you ;-)
>>

>> -a
>>

> And they devs have done so. Python 3 is masked and even keyworded. It
> is a hint at least.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Thanks all for your answers. Anyway, is there a mean to be kept informed about
the status of the "migration" ? (any "bugs" on b.g.o where i can CC myself)

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 06:41:02 -0600, Dale wrote:

> And they devs have done so. Python 3 is masked and even keyworded. It
> is a hint at least.

It's keyworded, but not masked. The recommendation, for ~arch users, is
that you have it installed but leave 2.6 as the default.

--
Neil Bothwick

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

And they devs have done so. Python 3 is masked and even keyworded. It
is a hint at least.

It's keyworded, but not masked. The recommendation, for ~arch users, is
that you have it installed but leave 2.6 as the default.

It shows this here:

[M~] dev-lang/python-3.1.1-r1 (3.1)

Isn't that masked and keyworded? I'm x86 here and synced yesterday.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:47:41 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > It's keyworded, but not masked. The recommendation, for ~arch users,
> > is that you have it installed but leave 2.6 as the default.

> It shows this here:
>
> [M~] dev-lang/python-3.1.1-r1 (3.1)
>
> Isn't that masked and keyworded? I'm x86 here and synced yesterday.

Have you masked it in /etc/portage? It's not masked here, no sign of
it in /usr/portage/profile/package.mask, and I have it installed on ~amd64
and ~x86 systems.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 44: Advanced BASIC

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

It's keyworded, but not masked. The recommendation, for ~arch users,
is that you have it installed but leave 2.6 as the default.

It shows this here:

[M~] dev-lang/python-3.1.1-r1 (3.1)

Isn't that masked and keyworded? I'm x86 here and synced yesterday.

Have you masked it in /etc/portage? It's not masked here, no sign of
it in /usr/portage/profile/package.mask, and I have it installed on ~amd64
and ~x86 systems.

Actually, it is installed here. It's not in use but after my little
testing, I left it on here.

root@smoker / # equery list dev-lang/python
[ Searching for package 'python' in 'dev-lang' among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] dev-lang/python-2.6.4 (2.6)
[I--] [M~] dev-lang/python-3.1.1-r1 (3.1)
root@smoker / #

Dale

:-) :-)