Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Default Going to multilib

Ok, so I have some apps that require 32 bit libraries, but I'm currently using
a no-multilib profile.

This page

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml

says:

"Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-enabled
profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the no-multilib
profile."

Now, I know that I can install most of the emul-linux-x86-* stuff and that
will probably be enough for me, but I was wondering what the technical
problems iwould be if I just changed my /etc/make.profile to point to a
multilib profile. As far as I can tell, gcc and glibc would be rebuilt with
USE=multilib, and a new set of libraries would be installed into /lib32 and
/usr/lib32 (in addition to those already installed under the corresponding
lib64 locations). So, how would that break the existing applications?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Sunday 06 December 2009, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> Ok, so I have some apps that require 32 bit libraries, but I'm currently
> using a no-multilib profile.

Apologies, I sent an email meant for gentoo-amd64 to gentoo-user. Sorry for
the trouble.