Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 PM
David Relson

Default Looking for x86 or AMD64 disassembler

G'day,

I'm looking for a disassembler so that I can see the underlying
assembly code in a variety of files, for example elf executables, DOS
executables, binary files (such as the master boot record (MBR)), etc.

Portage doesn't seem to include any, leastways eix hasn't revealed any
to me.

Searching google for disassemblers, I find a variety exist, but I
haven't yet encountered any with ebuilds. If needs be, I can build
direct from source or create a wrapper ebuild for the build.

What do you all recommend for disassemblers? Are there any good ones
for Gentoo?

Regards,

David

Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Brandon Vargo

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 19:33 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> I'm looking for a disassembler so that I can see the underlying
> assembly code in a variety of files, for example elf executables, DOS
> executables, binary files (such as the master boot record (MBR)), etc.
[snip]
> What do you all recommend for disassemblers? Are there any good ones
> for Gentoo?

I've used objdump (part of binutils) in the past for looking at ELF
files; look at the -d option for disassembly. A quick test shows that it
seems to work for exe files too, but I've never used it that way as I
don't use Windows much, so I don't know for sure.

For the MBR, I don't know of any disassemblers per-se, but hex editors
work well depending on what you are doing. hexdump (part of
sys-apps/util-linux) works well. You might want to make an image of the
MBR first with dd, depending on which tool you use, as some do not
support reading from the disk directly.

Regards,

Brandon Vargo

Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 AM
David Relson

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:29:50 -0700
Brandon Vargo wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 19:33 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > I'm looking for a disassembler so that I can see the underlying
> > assembly code in a variety of files, for example elf executables,
> > DOS executables, binary files (such as the master boot record
> > (MBR)), etc.
> [snip]
> > What do you all recommend for disassemblers? Are there any good
> > ones for Gentoo?
>
> I've used objdump (part of binutils) in the past for looking at ELF
> files; look at the -d option for disassembly. A quick test shows that
> it seems to work for exe files too, but I've never used it that way
> as I don't use Windows much, so I don't know for sure.
>
> For the MBR, I don't know of any disassemblers per-se, but hex editors
> work well depending on what you are doing. hexdump (part of
> sys-apps/util-linux) works well. You might want to make an image of
> the MBR first with dd, depending on which tool you use, as some do not
> support reading from the disk directly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brandon Vargo

Hi Brandon,

Indeed, hexdump mbr would show me the bytes but I want to see the code
as instructions.

objdump works fine for ELF. Being greedy, the ideal tool would handle
all 3 formats.

The immediate need is pure binary (like the MBR). A couple of weeks
ago I had to resort to an old DOS disassembler for a DOS executable.

I'd be much happier with a straight Linux solution.

Regards,

David

Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Robin Atwood

On Sunday 06 December 2009, David Relson wrote:

> Indeed, hexdump mbr would show me the bytes but I want to see the code
> as instructions.
>
> objdump works fine for ELF. Being greedy, the ideal tool would handle
> all 3 formats.
>
> The immediate need is pure binary (like the MBR). A couple of weeks
> ago I had to resort to an old DOS disassembler for a DOS executable.
>
> I'd be much happier with a straight Linux solution.

[i] dev-util/biew (5.7.0@28/12/08): A portable viewer of binary files,
hexadecimal and disassembler modes.

HTH
-Robin