Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Once again the emerge @preserved-rebuild loop

Hi all,
This came up maybe a month ago on some of my machines. Now I'm
updating the MythTV network of 3 dedicated machines and I'm seeing the
same thing. The machines are clean with emerge -DuN @world but stuck
in what appears to be an endless loop of @preserved-rebuild's. I've
been through the loop 3 times with no changes any time.

Before I do what I did last time (which was just erase the
preserved_libs_registry file by hand) I figured I'd see what a better
way to handle this is. Last time I think Neil suggested that multiple
passes through emerge @preserved-rebuild would eliminate this but I've
done 3 passes so far and it appears stuck.

Possibly I should emerge -C e2fsprogs-libs and then do another
emerge -DuN @world?

Other ideas?

Same exact results on 3 machines...

Thanks,
Mark

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.9
* - /lib/libblkid.so
* used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by 10 other files
* - /lib/libuuid.so
* used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
* used by 20 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
myth12 ~ # emerge -p @preserved-rebuild

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.0.6-r2
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.9
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libSM-1.1.1
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.13-r2
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libXt-1.0.6
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libXpm-3.5.7
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/dbus-1.2.3-r1
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libXaw-1.0.6
[ebuild R ] x11-apps/xdm-1.1.8
myth12 ~ #

and then

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
* Processed 90 info files.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> * This came up maybe a month ago on some of my machines. Now I'm
> updating the MythTV network of 3 dedicated machines and I'm seeing the
> same thing. The machines are clean with emerge -DuN @world but stuck
> in what appears to be an endless loop of @preserved-rebuild's. I've
> been through the loop 3 times with no changes any time.
>
> * Before I do what I did last time (which was just erase the
> preserved_libs_registry file by hand) I figured I'd see what a better
> way to handle this is. Last time I think Neil suggested that multiple
> passes through emerge @preserved-rebuild would eliminate this but I've
> done 3 passes so far and it appears stuck.
>
> * Possibly I should emerge -C e2fsprogs-libs and then do another
> emerge -DuN @world?
>
> * Other ideas?
>
> * Same exact results on 3 machines...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

No quick answers from the list so I tried:

emerge -C e2fsprogs-libs
emerge -DuN @world?
revdep-rebuild -i

and now the preserved-rebuild info is gone.

myth12 ~ # emerge -p @preserved-rebuild
emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
emerge: no targets left after set expansion
myth12 ~ #

So I guess it's fixed. Right? Right...

Over and out,
Mark

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:17:25 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> and now the preserved-rebuild info is gone.
>
> myth12 ~ # emerge -p @preserved-rebuild
> emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
> emerge: no targets left after set expansion
> myth12 ~ #
>
> So I guess it's fixed. Right? Right...

If emerge -uD world and revdep-rebuild complete without errors, yes.

--
Neil Bothwick

The people who are wrapped up in themselves are overdressed.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
James

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> emerge -C e2fsprogs-libs
> emerge -DuN @world?
> revdep-rebuild -i

Hello Mark,

My memory is not the sharpest these day, but, I thought
I ran across a bug that posted this as part of the
solution. I was updating 8 different systems, some not
updated for 6 months, so it was a blur to say the least.

If I recall correctly, I had a system with only reiserfs
on it, still I need to follow these steps and install
some package related to e2fsprogs to get past the complaints.
The bug was interesting enough, but sorry I do not remember
more specifics (aging brain syndrome)....

hth,
James

Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:17:25 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> and now the preserved-rebuild info is gone.
>>
>> myth12 ~ # emerge -p @preserved-rebuild
>> emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
>> emerge: no targets left after set expansion
>> myth12 ~ #
>>
>> So I guess it's fixed. Right? Right...
>
> If emerge -uD world and revdep-rebuild complete without errors, yes.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> The people who are wrapped up in themselves are overdressed.

They did. thanks!