Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Jarry

Default How to install package without dependencies?

Hi,

Subject says it all: I'd like to install a certain package
but without its dependencies. No matter what ebuild says,
I want to install just this package and nothing more.

And I'd like to have this package excluded from all future
dependency-checks (like revdep-rebuild). How could I do it?

Jarry

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 28 November 2009 22:16:17 Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Subject says it all: I'd like to install a certain package
> but without its dependencies. No matter what ebuild says,
> I want to install just this package and nothing more.

Did you even try to read the emerge man page?

Obviously not, as it's right there listed as --nodeps

> And I'd like to have this package excluded from all future
> dependency-checks (like revdep-rebuild). How could I do it?

Note that what you are trying will never work. You are asking the roof man to
build the roof without bothering to build the walls first. So what holds the
roof up?

The only way this can work is if the dependant package(s) is|are already there
but portage did not provide it|them. In which case, please save yourself a lot
of trouble and install the relevant package manually into /usr/local/ or ~/

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com