Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Roger Mason

Default eth1 won't start

Hello all,

I have a machine[1] into which I installed a second NIC. It is identified
by lspci as:

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX
(rev 10)

The driver, 8139too, is compiled as a module and loaded by udev. After
booting, lsmod says:

8139too 18304 0

I have net.eth1 symlinked to net.lo in /etc/init.d/ and /etc/conf.d/net
is empty. When I try to start interface:

# /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
* Starting eth1
* Configuration not set for eth1 - assuming DHCP
* Bringing up eth1
* dhcp
* network interface eth1 does not exist
* Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Roger
Linux lowalbite 2.6.26-gentoo-r3 #6 Fri Nov 27 14:01:52 NST 2009 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux