Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Kirill Lipatov

Default remote distcc

I was wondering if anybody ever tried using distcc not over a LAN, but over the internet. Do you think it's possible / efficient / useful ? Might there be better alternatives?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Yes, via an openvpn WAN link. It worked but the benefits seemed minimal
due to the odd mix of fast/slow hosts I was using (tip: remove any
slow/high latency hosts as it will slow the whole lot down). However, I
might try again sometime using pump mode which wasn't available at the
time.

distcc is designed for a local network - so security is a real issue.
There are some security related settings in the config file, but I would
still be wary of using it "naked" and not via an encrypted link.

Billk