Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 PM
James

Default FIXED: KDE3 removal

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> emerge -C device-mapper && emerge lvm2 udev

Yep, mix in an extra reboot and it's all fine now!

> eclipse doesn't DEPEND on xulrunner at all, but various other things do.
> equery depends -a xulrunner:1.8 lists about 40 possibilities here.

eclipse depends on SWT. SWT depends on xulrunner. sorry,
I should have been more clear, I did not pay closer attention
to the 1.8 vs 1.9 issues....thanks.

The system is already gone, so I'll be another 6-9 months
before I see it again.....

kde-4.3.1 went smooth, except
for I have to manually removed all the kde-3.5 packages.
It had kde-meta-3.5.10. Is there some syntax or a better
method to insure all the kde-3.5.x packages are removed,
without a manual sweep?

Thanks Alan.

James

Old 11-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 26 November 2009 19:34:34 James wrote:
> kde-4.3.1 went smooth, except
> for I have to manually removed all the kde-3.5 packages.
> It had kde-meta-3.5.10. Is there some syntax or a better
> method to insure all the kde-3.5.x packages are removed,
> without a manual sweep?

grep kde /var/lib/portage/world
and eyeball the output. There should only be -meta packages, and individual
packages for which you have NOT installed the -meta package, in there. vi the
world file and remove the stuff that shouldn't be there, then

emerge -C <all-kde3.5-meta-packages-in-world> && emerge -a --depclean

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Mick

On Thursday 26 November 2009 19:20:26 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 26 November 2009 19:34:34 James wrote:
> > kde-4.3.1 went smooth, except
> > for I have to manually removed all the kde-3.5 packages.
> > It had kde-meta-3.5.10. Is there some syntax or a better
> > method to insure all the kde-3.5.x packages are removed,
> > without a manual sweep?
>
> grep kde /var/lib/portage/world
> and eyeball the output. There should only be -meta packages, and individual
> packages for which you have NOT installed the -meta package, in there. vi
> the world file and remove the stuff that shouldn't be there, then

That's a good point ... over the years I have accumulated all sorts of
packages I am not sure I need (by forgetting to use --oneshot). Should these
be in there?
================================
kde-base/akregator
kde-base/ark
kde-base/drkonqi
kde-base/kaddressbook
kde-base/kappfinder
kde-base/kate
kde-base/kcalc
kde-base/kcharselect
kde-base/kcheckpass
kde-base/kcminit
kde-base/kcontrol
kde-base/kcron
kde-base/kdeadmin-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdeartwork-emoticons
kde-base/kdeartwork-iconthemes
kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver
kde-base/kdeartwork-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdeartwork-sounds
kde-base/kdeartwork-styles
kde-base/kdeartwork-wallpapers
kde-base/kdebase-data
kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves
kde-base/kdebase-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdebase-startkde
kde-base/kdebugdialog
kde-base/kdegraphics-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdelibs
kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves
kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdenetwork-filesharing
kde-base/kdenetwork-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdepasswd
kde-base/kdepim-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdesu
kde-base/kdeutils-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdewebdev-meta <--Yes
kde-base/kdf
kde-base/kdialog
kde-base/kdm
kde-base/kdnssd
kde-base/kfilereplace
kde-base/kfloppy
kde-base/kgamma
kde-base/kget
kde-base/kghostview
kde-base/kgpg
kde-base/khelpcenter
kde-base/khotkeys
kde-base/kicker
kde-base/kimagemapeditor
kde-base/kjots
kde-base/klinkstatus
kde-base/klipper
kde-base/kmail
kde-base/kmenuedit
kde-base/kmix
kde-base/knetattach
kde-base/knetworkconf
kde-base/kolourpaint
kde-base/kommander
kde-base/konqueror
kde-base/konsole
kde-base/kontact
kde-base/kopete
kde-base/kppp
kde-base/krdc
kde-base/kreadconfig
kde-base/krfb
kde-base/kruler
kde-base/kscd
kde-base/kscreensaver
kde-base/ksmserver
kde-base/ksnapshot
kde-base/kstart
kde-base/ksysguard
kde-base/ksystraycmd
kde-base/ktimer
kde-base/kuser
kde-base/kweather
kde-base/kwin
kde-base/kxsldbg
kde-base/libkcddb
kde-base/libkdepim
kde-base/libkonq
kde-base/nsplugins
================================

Other than the metas which I have marked with "<--Yes" I'm not sure I need the
rest. Shall I blow them away?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Dale

[...]

I have a rather bloated kde install and this is mine:

root@smoker / # grep kde /var/lib/portage/world
kde-base/kde-meta
kde-base/kde-meta:3.5
kde-misc/youtube-servicemenu
root@smoker / #

You can always remove those things, run -p --depclean and add back with
the -n option what you want to keep.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Upgraded to Seamonkey 2.0 and I got to adjust a few settings
here. :/ It looks good on the screen but the quoting part . . . . sucks.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:59:24 +0000, Mick wrote:

> That's a good point ... over the years I have accumulated all sorts of
> packages I am not sure I need (by forgetting to use --oneshot). Should
> these be in there?

Do you use them, or does something else you use use them? In the former
case, they should be there, otherwise not.

Generally, anything starting with lib should not be in world.

--
Neil Bothwick

Keyboard: (n.) a device used by programmers to write software for a mouse
or joystick and by operators for playing games such as 'word processing.'

Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 26 November 2009 22:59:24 Mick wrote:
> [...]
> kde-base/kcminit
> kde-base/kcontrol
> kde-base/kcron
> kde-base/kdeadmin-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdeartwork-emoticons
> kde-base/kdeartwork-iconthemes
> kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver
> kde-base/kdeartwork-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdeartwork-sounds
> kde-base/kdeartwork-styles
> kde-base/kdeartwork-wallpapers
> kde-base/kdebase-data
> kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves
> kde-base/kdebase-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdebase-startkde
> kde-base/kdebugdialog
> kde-base/kdegraphics-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdelibs
> kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves
> kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdenetwork-filesharing
> kde-base/kdenetwork-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdepasswd
> kde-base/kdepim-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdesu
> kde-base/kdeutils-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdewebdev-meta <--Yes
> kde-base/kdf
> kde-base/kdialog
> kde-base/kdm
> kde-base/kdnssd
> kde-base/kfilereplace
> kde-base/kfloppy
> kde-base/kgamma
> kde-base/kget
> kde-base/kghostview
> kde-base/kgpg
> kde-base/khelpcenter
> kde-base/khotkeys
> kde-base/kicker
> kde-base/kimagemapeditor
> kde-base/kjots
> kde-base/klinkstatus
> kde-base/klipper
> kde-base/kmail
> kde-base/kmenuedit
> kde-base/kmix
> kde-base/knetattach
> kde-base/knetworkconf
> kde-base/kolourpaint
> kde-base/kommander
> kde-base/konqueror
> kde-base/konsole
> kde-base/kontact
> kde-base/kopete
> kde-base/kppp
> kde-base/krdc
> kde-base/kreadconfig
> kde-base/krfb
> kde-base/kruler
> kde-base/kscd
> kde-base/kscreensaver
> kde-base/ksmserver
> kde-base/ksnapshot
> kde-base/kstart
> kde-base/ksysguard
> kde-base/ksystraycmd
> kde-base/ktimer
> kde-base/kuser
> kde-base/kweather
> kde-base/kwin
> kde-base/kxsldbg
> kde-base/libkcddb
> kde-base/libkdepim
> kde-base/libkonq
> kde-base/nsplugins
> ================================
>
> Other than the metas which I have marked with "<--Yes" I'm not sure I need

Hmmm. You need to do it the long way round:

1. Remove them from the world file
2. emerge -p --depclean
3. Eyeball the output paying attention to KDE4 apps that portage thinks it
must remove. Decide if you want to keep them. If so, put them in world or
emerge the larger -meta package they are part of
4. emerge -a --depclean and enter "y" only when you are finally happy with the
list. Again, pay attention to version numbers.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> grep kde /var/lib/portage/world

only kde-meta in there

>emerge -a --depclean

yep, just making sure.... as I thought there might be a
very special syntax to remove all kde 3.5.*

I used revdep-rebuild and emerge -uDNvp world to get the
list of 3.5 packages, and then just deleted them one by
one. Somehow there shlould be a cleaner way, as emerge -C
kde-meta (when only kde-meta-3.5 was installed) did not
work on all packages. Even when I manually remove the
"sub-meta" groups of kde-3.5 I still had packages in the groups
like games, I hand to manually remove. What a pain....

thx,
james

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Mick

2009/11/26 James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> grep kde /var/lib/portage/world
>
> only kde-meta in there
>
>>emerge -a --depclean
>

> yep, just making sure.... as I thought there might be a
> very special syntax to remove all kde 3.5.*
>
> I used revdep-rebuild and emerge -uDNvp world to get the
> list of 3.5 packages, and then just deleted them one by
> one. Somehow there shlould be a cleaner way, as emerge -C
> kde-meta (when only kde-meta-3.5 was installed) did not
> work on all packages. Even when I manually remove the
> "sub-meta" groups of kde-3.5 I still had packages in the groups
> like games, I hand to manually remove. What a pain....

Hmm, I thought that kweather, kate and kfloppy were brought in by some
meta or other. It seems that I'll have to install these on their own?

kde-base/kweather
selected: 4.3.1
protected: none
omitted: none

kde-base/kate
selected: 4.3.1
protected: none
omitted: none

kde-base/kfloppy
selected: 4.3.1
protected: none
omitted: none
Mick

Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
James

Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, I thought that kweather, kate and kfloppy were brought in by some
> meta or other. It seems that I'll have to install these on their own?

Hello Mick,

I'm just not certain any more exactly which packages belong to
which meta(kde) package. I think they are added and dropped
over the last few years, resulting in a dynamic grouping
or like those you mentioned, not being picked up by and of the
kde-meta packages.

Some time ago kde-meta ( the package that calls other kde-meta(sub
group packages) was to be done away with. Now, magically,
kde-meta is back, after the "Sets" solution seems to be
too cumbersome for those of us that want a simple and easy
method to install a bulk of kde packages.

Other than this '10,000' foot view, you'll have to get more
precise information from the gentoo kde devs or others,
as I just do not know......

You'd think there'd be a master listing of (kde-4) packages
and which one belong to which meta-package or what not;
if not a script to tool to reveal this information....

Let me know if you find a silver bullet (syntax) for discerning
what kde packages are grouped into which meta package or
not grouped at all..

hth,
James

Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 27 November 2009 17:27:30 James wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Hmm, I thought that kweather, kate and kfloppy were brought in by some
> > meta or other. It seems that I'll have to install these on their own?
>
> Hello Mick,
>
> I'm just not certain any more exactly which packages belong to
> which meta(kde) package. I think they are added and dropped
> over the last few years, resulting in a dynamic grouping
> or like those you mentioned, not being picked up by and of the
> kde-meta packages.

You fellows really need to read the full set of portage man pages. You sound
like mechanics that don't know how spanners work.

The contents of packages is determined by upstream (KDE), not by the gentoo
devs. Gentoo devs merely split the monolithic tarballs up into whatever apps
the KDE devs say is inside it

To find out what is in a -meta package:

cat $PORTDIR/kde-base/*-meta/*ebuild

There isn't a special tool to do this, much as there isn't a tool to tell you
what stuff DEPENDs on say apache. There is a general tool, it's
equery depends -a

> Some time ago kde-meta ( the package that calls other kde-meta(sub
> group packages) was to be done away with.

You are mistaken.

That has never ever been the case. The monolithic ebuilds have been done away
with in favour of split ebuilds. This has been in planning for 2 years right
from the beginning of the KDE-3.5 series

> Now, magically,
> kde-meta is back, after the "Sets" solution seems to be
> too cumbersome for those of us that want a simple and easy
> method to install a bulk of kde packages.

Citation please :-)

Zac has never to my knowledge said that sets are too cumbersome for regular
people. Sets are not yet in stable portage because he wants the feature to be
tested more. Therefore sets cannot be exposed in the portage tree. That's why
defined sets are only distributed in the overlays, not in the tree.

> Other than this '10,000' foot view, you'll have to get more
> precise information from the gentoo kde devs or others,
> as I just do not know......

To find out what depends on kate, kweather and kfloppy, use the correct
portage tool:

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a kate
* Searching for kate ...
kde-base/kdesdk-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/kate-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
kde-base/kdesdk-meta-4.3.3 (!kdeprefix ? >=kde-base/kate-4.3.3[-kdeprefix])
(kdeprefix ? >=kde-base/kate-4.3.3:4.3[kdeprefix])

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a kweather
* Searching for kweather ...
kde-base/kdetoys-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/kweather-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
kde-base/kdetoys-meta-4.3.3 (!kdeprefix ? >=kde-base/kweather-4.3.3[-
kdeprefix])
(kdeprefix ? >=kde-
base/kweather-4.3.3:4.3[kdeprefix])

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a kfloppy
* Searching for kfloppy ...
kde-base/kdeutils-meta-4.3.1 (floppy ? >=kde-
base/kfloppy-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
kde-base/kdeutils-meta-4.3.3 (floppy & !kdeprefix ? >=kde-base/kfloppy-4.3.3[-
kdeprefix])
(floppy & kdeprefix ? >=kde-
base/kfloppy-4.3.3:4.3[kdeprefix])

So kate DEPENDS on kdesdk (it's a dev tool, emerge it individually if you just
want the editor)
kweather DEPENDS on kde-toys
kfloppy DEPENDS on kdeutils iff USE=floppy

> You'd think there'd be a master listing of (kde-4) packages
> and which one belong to which meta-package or what not;
> if not a script to tool to reveal this information....

There is. See above.

> Let me know if you find a silver bullet (syntax) for discerning
> what kde packages are grouped into which meta package or
> not grouped at all..

This is Unix. We use grep, sed and awk to find stuff.

Much faster than just about anything else...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com