Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Jeremy Sanders

Default Fedora 12 kickstart and proxy

Hi - Is it correct that proxy support is currently broken in F12 kickstart?
I've tried --proxy on repo and install options and they are not recognised.
It would be nice if the documentation was correct.

Is there any way to get proxy support?

Is this fixed in rawhide and is it possible to install F12 with a rawhide
anaconda?

I also see that there is no chvt in the netboot installation image. Didn't
this used to be there? It would be nice to print out errors in the %pre
section.

Thanks

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss@ast.cam.ac.uk> http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Chris Lumens

> Hi - Is it correct that proxy support is currently broken in F12 kickstart?
> I've tried --proxy on repo and install options and they are not recognised.
> It would be nice if the documentation was correct.

It's not broken in F12 - support simply doesn't exist.

Are you referring to the documentation on the wiki? If so, that tracks
rawhide, which does support the proxy options.

> Is there any way to get proxy support?

No.

> Is this fixed in rawhide and is it possible to install F12 with a rawhide
> anaconda?

Yes, and perhaps - but you might be setting yourself up for greater
problems. Rawhide anaconda is likely to have other bugs that haven't
gotten testing and fixing yet.

> I also see that there is no chvt in the netboot installation image. Didn't
> this used to be there? It would be nice to print out errors in the %pre
> section.

It can be added back if it needs to be.

- Chris

Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Jeremy Sanders

Chris Lumens wrote:

>> Is there any way to get proxy support?
>
> No.

Thanks for the reply. I've made a bit of a hacky workaround for doing this
if you have apache and squid servers:

# this makes /fedoraproxy a (reverse) proxy to fedora mirror
# it passes the requests through squid (port 3128) to act as a cache
ProxyRequests Off
<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from somewhere.domain
Allow from localhost
</Proxy>
ProxyPass /fedoraproxy http://fedora.mirror.url/mirrors/fedora/linux
ProxyRemote http http://localhost:3128/
ProxyVia Full

This seems to work quite nicely. It proxies the fedora repository, but uses
the local squid to cache the data.

It would be nice to have chvt if it could be added back to anaconda. We have
some sanity checks in the %pre script. At the moment it just hangs the
install as there's no way of notifying the user.

Perhaps some sort of anaconda-notify program would be useful, to pop up a
window in the install. It might be even useful to pop up a simple dialog to
get a line of data.

Jeremy

Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Jeremy Sanders

Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> <Proxy *>
> Order deny,allow
> Allow from somewhere.domain
> Allow from localhost
> </Proxy>

Sorry - I missed out the important line "Deny from all" which needs to be
above the "Allow from" lines.