Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Philip Webb

Default Gentoo in the enterprise

I just read http://lwn.net/Articles/361695/ -- I don't subscribe --
& noticed

... others who are using Linux in high-stakes situations
- even a major stock exchange which has based its operation on Gentoo.

JC goes on at length re the NYSE : does anyone know which one uses Gentoo ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 11-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 04:54 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> I just read http://lwn.net/Articles/361695/ -- I don't subscribe --
> & noticed
>
> ... others who are using Linux in high-stakes situations
> - even a major stock exchange which has based its operation on Gentoo.
>
> JC goes on at length re the NYSE : does anyone know which one uses Gentoo ?

NYSE uses RHEL.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Redouane Boumghar

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 06:42:37AM -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 04:54 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> > I just read http://lwn.net/Articles/361695/ -- I don't subscribe --
> > & noticed
> >
> > ... others who are using Linux in high-stakes situations
> > - even a major stock exchange which has based its operation on Gentoo.
> >
> > JC goes on at length re the NYSE : does anyone know which one uses Gentoo ?
> >

> NYSE uses RHEL.

A little public survey would be nice on gentoo.org to have an overview about
who uses Gentoo :

---
Firms using Gentoo (on some cpu)
Firms using Gentoo (as main OS)

Labs using Gentoo (partly)
Labs using Gentoo (as main OS)
---

Just a funny suggestion,
Redouane.
Using gentoo at my Lab and at my company.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 PM
James

Philip Webb <purslow <at> ca.inter.net> writes:

> ... others who are using Linux in high-stakes situations
> - even a major stock exchange which has based its operation on Gentoo.

Gentoo, imho, lacks a singular, mature(stable) technology to
really have a major impact on commercial unix systems.

(Local)Clustering.

A few years ago "they" were very close. Kernel sources such almost
mainstream. Then a meltdown occurred (not of gentoo folks
but the clustering geniuses) and progress halted for a while.

Now I see this:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/cluster/

In addition to performance, the clustering will have to solved
High Availability AND a method to upgrade the nodes one at a time
with testing to ensure that the software (regardless of
OS or applications or security patch) works on the individual
computers. Then that box/processor/card
can be logically plugged back into the cluster.

So you get the best of both worlds, many workstations and a cluster
for single app acceleration. That will impact small and medium
size businesses like crazy. This duality of many fast
workstations and a cluster from the same group of local
machines, is a MicroSoft Killer. Plus folks will be able to do
their own super computing type of processing that only
the governments and large corps can do now. GAME CHANGER, methinks.
Add the relentless advance of ARM processor for low power and fast
shutoff/reboot, controlled by other computers and you can
put your cluster into deep (low power) hibernation, all thanks to
Gentoo.

Cloud Computing is for (idiot) home owners, kids and ignorant business types.
As soon as they learn the details of what is happening to their data
on some body else's cloud, anyone with anything to protect will run
from Cloud Computing. Anyone] with any desire for privacy already
have discounted Cloud computing. With personal supercomputer, ordinary
people and small business can share data and applications (such as
their own credit rating on persons and companies or something
like modeling their own ideas on climate change or the farce it is).

Gentoo devs solve this (clustering issues) and Gentoo will explode on the
commercial scene. Everyone I show how to update software on Gentoo,
just lets their bottom jaw drop and are speech_less..... Gentoo clustering
is a MicroSoft killer....

Gentoo needs a little more stability and when it provides a really
stable cluster technology..... look out, IMHO.....

hth,
James