Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default /bin contains busybox executables after installing busybox-1.13.2

Hi.
I've just stumbled on an abnormality for which I've yet no explanation.
Posting for possible general interest.

Yesterday ebuild unpack started to emit errors:

find: unrecognized: -mindepth
BusyBox v1.13.2 (2009-09-02 17:33:46 IDT) multi-call binary

Usage: find [PATH...] [EXPRESSION]

This happened because I had a /bin/find, identical to /bin/busybox

amit0 ~ # ls -la /bin/find /bin/busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 176 root root 981048 Sep 2 17:35 /bin/busybox*
-rwxr-xr-x 176 root root 981048 Sep 2 17:35 /bin/find*

/bin/find isn't associated with any package, but it's creation time
coincides with the last emerge of busybox, 1.8.2 -> 1.13.2.

It seems that all of busybox's embedded exe's (I have 130) were created
on my FS.

FYI

Amit

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 11:35:53 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> Hi.
> I've just stumbled on an abnormality for which I've yet no explanation.
> Posting for possible general interest.
>
> Yesterday ebuild unpack started to emit errors:
>
> find: unrecognized: -mindepth
> BusyBox v1.13.2 (2009-09-02 17:33:46 IDT) multi-call binary
>
> Usage: find [PATH...] [EXPRESSION]
>

> This happened because I had a /bin/find, identical to /bin/busybox
>
> amit0 ~ # ls -la /bin/find /bin/busybox
> -rwxr-xr-x 176 root root 981048 Sep 2 17:35 /bin/busybox*
> -rwxr-xr-x 176 root root 981048 Sep 2 17:35 /bin/find*
>
> /bin/find isn't associated with any package, but it's creation time
> coincides with the last emerge of busybox, 1.8.2 -> 1.13.2.
>
> It seems that all of busybox's embedded exe's (I have 130) were created
> on my FS.

This all happened because you didn't read this:

pkg_preinst() {
if use make-symlinks && [[ ! ${VERY_BRAVE_OR_VERY_DUMB} == "yes" ]] &&
[[ ${ROOT} == "/" ]] ; then
ewarn "setting USE=make-symlinks and emerging to / is very
dangerous."
ewarn "it WILL overwrite lots of system programs like: ls bash
awk grep (bug 60805 for full list)."
ewarn "If you are creating a binary only and not merging this
is probably ok."
ewarn "set env VERY_BRAVE_OR_VERY_DUMB=yes if this is realy
what you want."
die "silly options will destroy your system"
fi

/bin/find is not associated with any packages because it's created in
postinst()

And now you have a huge problem because (at least last time I tried) busybox
does not implement tar -o; to test, try and emerge something. If it fails,
this is the only way it will ever work:

boot off alternate media and chroot into your usual /. If you are lucky, you
will have a tar binpkg as a backup which you can unpack into / on the chroot;
if not then you have to get one from somewhere - some kind soul will likely
send you one of you specify your arch and cpu type

Then remove busybox. You don't need it as you have GNU. Busybox is useful for
embedded and rescue systems and not much use on desktops, hence the warnings
in the ebuild about not writing to / with symlinks

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

amit0 ~ # fgrep make-symlinks /var/log/portage/elog/summary.log
/var/log/emerge.log;echo $?

1
amit0 ~ # euse -a make-symlinks
amit0 ~ #

amit0 ~ # grep -i -A 8 busybox-1.13.2 /var/log/portage/elog/summary.log
>>> Messages generated by process 17234 on 2009-09-02 17:35:08 IDT for
package sys-apps/busybox-1.13.2:

WARN: unpack
Could not locate user configfile, so we will save a default one

LOG: install
Your configuration for sys-apps/busybox-1.13.2 has been saved in
/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-apps/busybox-1.13.2 for your editing pleasure.
You can edit these files by hand and remerge this package with
USE=savedconfig to customise the configuration.
You can rename this file/directory to one of the following for
its configuration to apply to multiple versions:
${PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT}/etc/portage/savedconfig/
[${CTARGET}|${CHOST}|""]/${CATEGORY}/[${PF}|${P}|${PN}]

>>> Messages generated by process 17234 on 2009-09-02 17:36:00 IDT for
package media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.20-r4:

FWIW, exing the excess exe-s from /bin/ helped relieve my pains.
Amit

Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 14:33:29 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> amit0 ~ # fgrep make-symlinks /var/log/portage/elog/summary.log
> /var/log/emerge.log;echo $?
> 1

[snip]

Do you perhaps have a minimal elog config? I get that message every time here

> FWIW, exing the excess exe-s from /bin/ helped relieve my pains.

You're lucky :-)

When the same thing happened to me long ago, I needed recovery tools to get a
working system back

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM