Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Grant Edwards

Default mesa's libGL.so looking in wrong place for r300_dri.so

I just switched to the radeon driver from the fglrx driver
Fglrx was a pretty old version and DRI had stopped working.
Oddly, emerge has "forgotten" it's installed. It obviously is
installed: it works (mostly), all its files are there, and
and eselect opengl still shows an "ati" option. How do you
uninstall a package that emerge claims isn't installed?

Anyway, I can't get DRI working with the open-source "radeon"
driver. Mesa's libGL.so seems to be broken. I've re-emerged
both mesa and mesa-progs, but libGL.so (part of mesa) can't
find other .so files that are _also_ part of mesa.

Here's the output from glxinfo with debugging turned on:

libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.3.0 r300 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: cannot open shared object $
libGL error: unable to load driver: r300_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared obj$
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: reverting to indirect rendering

mesa's libGL can't find r300_dri.so and swrast_dri.so, even
though they're both part of the same package and are exactly
where mesa installed them:

# equery files mesa | grep dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so

# ls -l /usr/lib/dri
total 9072
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2379724 Nov 24 14:55 r200_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2397036 Nov 24 14:55 r300_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2348908 Nov 24 14:55 radeon_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2138328 Nov 24 14:55 swrast_dri.so

Why is libGL.so looking in the wrong place for the dri modules?

I suppose I could symlink /usr/X11R6/dri -> /usr/lib/dri, but
shouldn't the mesa ebuild have done that if it's required?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Loni Anderson's hair
at should be LEGALIZED!!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-11-24, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just switched to the radeon driver from the fglrx driver
> Fglrx was a pretty old version and DRI had stopped working.
> Oddly, emerge has "forgotten" it's installed. It obviously is
> installed: it works (mostly), all its files are there, and
> and eselect opengl still shows an "ati" option. How do you
> uninstall a package that emerge claims isn't installed?

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of all the files
belonging to the ati-drivers package.

> Why is libGL.so looking in the wrong place for the dri modules?
>
> I suppose I could symlink /usr/X11R6/dri -> /usr/lib/dri,

Adding that symlink solved the problem.

> but shouldn't the mesa ebuild have done that if it's required?

Apparently this breakage was due to the switch to modular X11 a
while back. The instructions I was following said to delete
/usr/X11R6 if it wasn't a symlink, but they never said to
create a symlink. Apparently a number of packages depend on
that symlink being there, but none of them will create it if it
isn't there.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm using my X-RAY
at VISION to obtain a rare

Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-11-24, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Grant Edwards
><grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just switched to the radeon driver from the fglrx driver
>> Fglrx was a pretty old version and DRI had stopped working.
>> Oddly, emerge has "forgotten" it's installed. It obviously is
>> installed: it works (mostly), all its files are there, and
>> and eselect opengl still shows an "ati" option. How do you
>> uninstall a package that emerge claims isn't installed?
>
> Maybe you can emerge it again (overwrite existing files) and
> then unmerge it.

I tried that, but the emerge failed. I'll be working on
figuring out why...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow!
at BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-