Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Michael Higgins

Default gnome-shell is cool (and how to move my current user)

So I've been trying to get around a long-standing bug in gnome-panel
with vertical panels and the application list. Some workarounds, patches
exist that work, but still a PITA to fix up my own ebuilds to address
it.

I received a comment on a bug tracker that gnome-panel likely will be
deprecated in favour of "gnome-shell" in gnome 3.0 (aka 2.32) anyway,
so forget an *upstream* commit to fix this problem that's been around
for years.

Well, my curiosity got the best of me, so I cherry-picked some ebuilds,
an eclass (and even built a piece "by hand" since the ebuild failed to
actually install anything...) and I got "gnome-shell --replace" to
launch.

What I found was the system became so slow as to be unusable... *but*
that adding a new user, so to test on a clean slate as it were,
gnome-shell works just fine. Very cool.

So then, what's the *best way* to (re-) set my current user to get the
goodness of a brand new gnome profile, but none of the hassle of
reconfiguring all my apps? ;-)

I see moving my /home folder to something else, deleting me, adding me
back, with new /home and my groups... then moving a few very configured
apps .configs over, but I thought there *might* be a sure way that would
be easier...

Cheers,

-- Michael Higgins

Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Michael Higgins

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:54:13 -0800
Michael Higgins <linux@evolone.org> wrote:

> So then, what's the *best way* to (re-) set my current user to get the
> goodness of a brand new gnome profile, but none of the hassle of
> reconfiguring all my apps? ;-)
>
> I see moving my /home folder to something else, deleting me, adding me
> back, with new /home and my groups... then moving a few very
> configured apps .configs over, but I thought there *might* be a sure
> way that would be easier...

Of course, I couldn't wait. User is all set and I'm obviously no linux
sysadmin... or whatever.

Problem with slowness using gnome-shell was caused by user being in the
'video' group. Hmm. Not entirely needed, I guess. Can't say what's up
with that.

Anyway, I might stick with this, be ahead of the curve, or suffer
needlessly, for a bit. Nice to know I worked on documenting a fix for
vertical gnome-panels, but may not need it now...

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

-- Michael Higgins