Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Hal Martin

Default NFS poor performance, high system load

Hello all,

Sorry if it seems like this is a repeat question, but I've gone through
my Gentoo list for the past 2 years and none of the answers provided for

Gentoo box:
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Intel PCIe Gigabit Network adapter
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (Copper) (rev 06)
Supermicro 8-port PCI-X SATA card (in a PCI slot)
03:06.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)
Western Digital 1TB Black Edition hard drive (writing to an XFS partition)
2.6.27-amd64 (Yes, it's old, it's on my list to upgrade)

Client:
MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz
Intel integrated Gigabit Network adapter
Seagate 160GB SATA hard drive (5400RPM)
Mac OS X 10.6.1

/etc/exports:
/mnt/daigo 192.168.0.31(rw,insecure)

hdparm -tT /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
Timing cached reads: 1230 MB in 2.00 seconds = 614.64 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 316 MB in 3.01 seconds = 104.95 MB/sec

Over NFS I'm getting 3.7MB/s, with occasional bursts of 25MB/s for 1-5
seconds, then returning to 3.7MB/s. During this entire process, the
system load is hovering around 5.5.

The same copy, using samba to share that partition, I get 45MB/s
sustained. System load is around 1.0.

Even though the SATA controller is over the PCI bus, which does limit
its performance somewhat (no RAID arrays are running on it) as you can
see from the attached hdparm output, the disk is capable of speeds that
should be around what gigabit ethernet can provide.

I know this is a Gentoo list, and not generally the place to complain
about poor NFS performance in Mac OS X, we all know Gentoo is superior
in just about every way anyway. However, I simply cannot believe that
the difference in transfer speeds is due to strictly to Mac OS X's NFS
capabilities.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing the system load caused by
NFS? Can you suggest any performance increasing tips for my NFS
configuration?

Thanks,
Hal

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 AM