Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
laurent

Default Bittorent black box

Hi,

I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
later.

I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any
features of the last one.

What would you recommend to use?

thanks
Laurent

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, laurent <laurent@logiquefloue.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
> I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
> later.
>
> I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any features
> of the last one.
> What would you recommend to use?

I use Vuze (formerly Azureus) with VNC, and I control it with its web
interface when I'm not inside my LAN:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui

It's a little bloated, but it runs perfectly in my Atom powered
server, and it certainly has all the features a Torrent client can
have.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas

Old 11-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Fredrik Andersson

I use rtorrent and ssh, sure there is no web interface but it's the best torrent client I know of. =)

Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 AM

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, laurent <laurent@logiquefloue.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
> I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
> later.
>
> I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any features
> of the last one.
> What would you recommend to use?

I use Vuze (formerly Azureus) with VNC, and I control it with its web
interface when I'm not inside my LAN:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui

It's a little bloated, but it runs perfectly in my Atom powered
server, and it certainly has all the features a Torrent client can
have.

Regards.
--
Canek Pelez Valds
Instituto de Matemticas

You don't wanna be using that, try rtorrent. It's the nutts.

HOME PAGE: roundyz.kicks-ass.net

Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

2009/11/24 <roundyz@hotmail.ru>:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, laurent <laurent@logiquefloue.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
>> I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
>> later.
>>
>> I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any
>> features
>> of the last one.
>> What would you recommend to use?
>
> I use Vuze (formerly Azureus) with VNC, and I control it with its web
> interface when I'm not inside my LAN:
>
> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui
>
> It's a little bloated, but it runs perfectly in my Atom powered
> server, and it certainly has all the features a Torrent client can
> have.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Pelez Valds
> Instituto de Matemticas
> Universidad Nacional Autnoma de Mxico
>

> You don't wanna be using that, try rtorrent. It's the nutts.

Actually, I DO wanna use Vuze, but thanks. I used rtorrent years ago;
maybe I will give it a try again. However, I don't see in their
homepage that it supports automatic download of torrents through an
RSS feed with regexp filters, like Vuze actually does.

For me, that's the killer feature of Vuze.

Regards.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/24 *<roundyz@hotmail.ru>:
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, laurent <laurent@logiquefloue.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
>>> I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
>>> later.
>>>
>>> I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any
>>> features
>>> of the last one.
>>> What would you recommend to use?
>>
>> I use Vuze (formerly Azureus) with VNC, and I control it with its web
>> interface when I'm not inside my LAN:
>>
>> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui
>>
>> It's a little bloated, but it runs perfectly in my Atom powered
>> server, and it certainly has all the features a Torrent client can
>> have.
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Pelez Valds
>> Instituto de Matemticas
>> Universidad Nacional Autnoma de Mxico
>>

>> You don't wanna be using that, try rtorrent. It's the nutts.
>
> Actually, I DO wanna use Vuze, but thanks. I used rtorrent years ago;
> maybe I will give it a try again. However, I don't see in their
> homepage that it supports automatic download of torrents through an
> RSS feed with regexp filters, like Vuze actually does.
>
> For me, that's the killer feature of Vuze.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Instituto de Matemáticas
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

I stand corrected: the RSS utilities where hidden in the 3rd party
utilities link from the libtorrent (not rtorrent) page.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/UtilsList

It looks interesting; maybe I will try it again.

Regards.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
laurent

Canek Peláez Valdés a écrit :

[...]

ok thanks guys, I made my mind for rtorrent then

Laurent

Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Daniel Troeder

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 00:02 +0100, laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use my server as bittorent client and maybe tracker later.
> I would like to have a web interface but I could also develop it myself
> later.
>
> I saw, qbittorent and hrktorrent that looks good. I don't know any
> features of the last one.
> What would you recommend to use?
>
> thanks
> Laurent
I'd recommend net-p2p/deluge (http://deluge-torrent.org/).
It has all the features I ever wanted and its written in Python using
libtorrent as engine.

It runs as a non-ui daemon to which you can connect clients via network.
Existing clients are: console, web and gtk+.

I start the daemon and a web client on my server, and connect ether via
web or with the gtk-ui

It has no build-in tracker, but I recommend using a public one anyway
(for example http://openbittorrent.com/).

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
laurent

Canek Peláez Valdés a écrit :

[...]

would be better performance wise to launch it as a daemon?

my server is doing other stuff at same time.

Laurent

Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM
laurent

Daniel Troeder a écrit :

[...]

yes I was interested by deluge also. I also read about BTG that seems
very good.
I installed rtorrent with the default flags, no daemon, will see how it
work with ssh first.

schussy
Laurent