Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Crístian Viana

Default synchronize portage files in a LAN

hi,
I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone will always be "synchronized".

what's the best approach for this case?
thanks!
--
Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Richard Marza

I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the
same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can use
crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if there's a
better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one local rsync
server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it (by pointing the
SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also thought NFS could be
nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone will always be
"synchronized".

what's the best approach for this case?

thanks!
--
CrÃ*stian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka
CD1]

Â*

Â*

The options you mentioned is the best...Just settup
the rsync server on the machine you want it on and then setup a cront job to
update it daily. Set your 6 hosts to use your local rsync server machine and
create cron jobs for the 6 machines. Just make sure that their cron jobs are
5-10 minutes ahead of when the local rsync server updates it's
files.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Dale

Crístian Viana wrote:

hi,

I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the
same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can
use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if
there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create
one local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with
it (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I
also thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and
everyone will always be "synchronized".

what's the best approach for this case?

thanks!

--
Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

I think either way would work. The bad thing about a NFS is that you
have to run emerge --metadata to update the files in /var. I think this
is still correct. I always synced to my main machine. It is easier in
my opinion. I seem to recall having to uncomment one line in the config
file and start rsyncd. It worked.

My thoughts at least.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Florian Philipp

Crístian Viana schrieb:
> hi,
>
> I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the
> same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can
> use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if
> there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one
> local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it
> (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also
> thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone
> will always be "synchronized".
>
> what's the best approach for this case?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

Slow network or WLAN? Use a local rsync server. There is a package for
this (app-admin/gentoo-rsync-mirror) and instructions on the net.

While you are at it, you could also install an http or ftp proxy for
distfiles. net-proxy/http-replicator should do it if you do not want a
complete proxy infrastructure.

>=100MBit connection? Use NFS. You should not only put your portage tree
on this but also distfiles and /var/cache/edb. Do not do this with
/var/db/pkg, however.

Hope this helps
Florian Philipp