Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 AM
"Jason Carson"

Default P55 Chipset Support

Hello everyone,

I am considering upgrading to a 64 bit CPU but haven't decided on what I
am going to buy. One of the motherboards I am looking at has a P55 chipset
so my question is will the P55 chipset work with Gentoo? If so where in
menuconfig do I configure this?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Dale

Jason Carson wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am considering upgrading to a 64 bit CPU but haven't decided on what I
am going to buy. One of the motherboards I am looking at has a P55 chipset
so my question is will the P55 chipset work with Gentoo? If so where in
menuconfig do I configure this?

Thanks

How about a link to the mobo. I been googling but p55 is also a network
card or something. Sort of hard to weed them out.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 AM
"Jason Carson"

> Jason Carson wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am considering upgrading to a 64 bit CPU but haven't decided on what I
>> am going to buy. One of the motherboards I am looking at has a P55
>> chipset
>> so my question is will the P55 chipset work with Gentoo? If so where in
>> menuconfig do I configure this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> How about a link to the mobo. I been googling but p55 is also a network
> card or something. Sort of hard to weed them out.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

It's the ASRock P55 Deluxe...

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=P55%20Deluxe

Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Dale

Jason Carson wrote:

Jason Carson wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am considering upgrading to a 64 bit CPU but haven't decided on what I
am going to buy. One of the motherboards I am looking at has a P55
chipset
so my question is will the P55 chipset work with Gentoo? If so where in
menuconfig do I configure this?

Thanks

How about a link to the mobo. I been googling but p55 is also a network
card or something. Sort of hard to weed them out.

Dale

:-) :-)

It's the ASRock P55 Deluxe...

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=P55%20Deluxe

I found this so far.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_p55&num=4

It appears to work. Still looking for the drivers tho. I have never
had a Intel that I know of. Sort of poking in the dark here. Since it
appears to be working, it may be that you will have to boot the CD and
do a lspci -k to see what the CD is using.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Hung Dang

I have never tried P55 before, however, I have no problem with P35, P45,
and X58. I believe Gentoo should work with P55 without any problem.
When using make menuconfig you need to configure network interface,
SATA, and IDE drivers correctly for the hardware specifications obtained
from lspci command.

Hung

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
"Jason Carson"

> Jason Carson wrote:

>>> How about a link to the mobo. I been googling but p55 is also a
>>> network
>>> card or something. Sort of hard to weed them out.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-) :-)
>>>

>> It's the ASRock P55 Deluxe...
>>
>> http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=P55%20Deluxe
>>

> I found this so far.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_p55&num=4
>
> It appears to work. Still looking for the drivers tho. I have never
> had a Intel that I know of. Sort of poking in the dark here. Since it
> appears to be working, it may be that you will have to boot the CD and
> do a lspci -k to see what the CD is using.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Thanks for that link. The preview concluded "At the end of the day, the
Intel platform will run fine under Linux, but there's a few hiccups right
now" which is fine because I won't be upgrading for another month so
hopefully all the problems will be fixed by them.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Dale

Jason Carson wrote:

Dale wrote:

I found this so far.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_p55&num=4

It appears to work. Still looking for the drivers tho. I have never
had a Intel that I know of. Sort of poking in the dark here. Since it
appears to be working, it may be that you will have to boot the CD and
do a lspci -k to see what the CD is using.

Dale

:-) :-)

Thanks for that link. The preview concluded "At the end of the day, the
Intel platform will run fine under Linux, but there's a few hiccups right
now" which is fine because I won't be upgrading for another month so
hopefully all the problems will be fixed by them.

What I would do, find the latest live CD that you can find, Gentoo,
Knoppix or whatever, then boot it and run lspci -k. It's then as simple
as finding the options in the kernel and turning them on. The make
menuconfig has a search option in it. Just hit the "/" key and type in
the name of the driver. It will list where all the matches are.
Naturally you need to wait until you get this mobo and all to get the
CD. The later the better.

Another key thing, getting the latest kernel available when you
install. Most drivers may not be in the current ones or earlier ones.
That's the key thing I would guess. I would even get one that is
masked/keyworded if needed. Maybe check with this list as to what
people are getting from a certain version and running a rig similar to
yours.

Dale

:-) :-)