Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Keyboard not working as user, works as root (kde)

On Sunday 22 November 2009 22:26:36 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I did an update lat night and my keyboard stopped working. What
makes me
> wonder though is that if x starts on it's own then i can type
my password
> and i get in, and then the keyboard stops working. If i change
to another
> tty and start x as root, there are no such issues (also
starting x as user
> from tty doesn't do anything about the keyboard not working).
>
> These are the packages the update pulled in:
>
> x11-libs/libX11-1.3.2
> 11-libs/libvdpau-0.3
> app-admin/eselect-1.2.8
> www-client/opera-10.10_pre4742
>
> I tried downgrading to a stable build of libX11 but that didn't
seem to
> change anything.
>
> I'm using a laptop and don't have an extern keyboard at hand to
test. What
> does more to boggle me is that the touchpad is functioning as
it should.

Do you have consolekit in USE?
If so, is it configured properly?

There's an elog about it, it displays when you emerge the
relevant X package

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Dale

Zeerak Waseem wrote:

[...]

Help?

Zeerak

Ps. I sent a mail out, however I'm not certain if i did it correctly,
hence this mail.

It made it to the list.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
"Zeerak Waseem"

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:04:17 +0100, Alan McKinnon
[...]

I do have consolekit as a useflag (default on profile it seems), but I'm
not sure where to configure it, and what will a working configuration look
like?

(and thanks for the confirmation Dale :-) )

Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 23 November 2009 00:31:41 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
> > Do you have consolekit in USE?
> > If so, is it configured properly?
> >
> > There's an elog about it, it displays when you emerge the
> > relevant X package
>
> I do have consolekit as a useflag (default on profile it seems),
but I'm
> not sure where to configure it, and what will a working
configuration
> look like?

Actually, consolekit is the worng thing (I was confused with other
mails elsewhere). Your problem is probably hal related. You have
two options:

- read the masses of info already on the intartubes discoverable
via Google
- listen to Dale when he invariably chips in about hal.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

There's an elog about it, it displays when you emerge the
relevant X package

I do have consolekit as a useflag (default on profile it seems),

but I'm

not sure where to configure it, and what will a working

configuration

look like?

Actually, consolekit is the worng thing (I was confused with other
mails elsewhere). Your problem is probably hal related. You have
two options:

- read the masses of info already on the intartubes discoverable
via Google

- listen to Dale when he invariably chips in about hal.

Say what? Me, chip in on hal? I want to bury the thing. Phooey on
chipping in.

If it is hal, put this in package.use

x11-base/xorg-server -hal

After that, re-emerge xorg-server and it's little friends if needed.
Make sure you still have your old faithful xorg.conf file in place.
Restart X and hope it is working again.

To think I would chip in on hal. Phh! lol

Dale

:-) :-)