Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Maxim Wexler

Default can't remove device-mapper can't install it either

Hi group,

Going through a rough patch after a world update. The SD card on my
netbook doesn't get mounted, ext2 filesytem not found etc. I've had
this problem before which I traced to the lack of support for SD cards
in the kernel. This time it's something else. Nothing wrong with the
fs, it can be checked and mounted manually. Device-mapper is not in
the world file but does exist in /etc/init.d and can be started and
stopped OK. When I use it I get messages in the boot console of being
incompatible with my baselayout-1.

So, I try to unmerge it, but of course portage claims I don't have it.
And if I try to emerge it, the new version is blocked by the version
I'm supposed ot have?!

In an earlier post 'device-mapper', somebody suggested installing lvm2
and not using device-mapper but this doesn't work for me -- assuming
my problem has anything to do with device-mapper.

Maxim

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Steffen Loos

Maxim Wexler schrieb:

Hi group,

Going through a rough patch after a world update. The SD card on my
netbook doesn't get mounted, ext2 filesytem not found etc. I've had
this problem before which I traced to the lack of support for SD cards
in the kernel. This time it's something else. Nothing wrong with the
fs, it can be checked and mounted manually. Device-mapper is not in
the world file but does exist in /etc/init.d and can be started and
stopped OK. When I use it I get messages in the boot console of being
incompatible with my baselayout-1.

So, I try to unmerge it, but of course portage claims I don't have it.
And if I try to emerge it, the new version is blocked by the version
I'm supposed ot have?!

I assume emerge can't install because of some files lying arround from an earlier install?
Then you can just remove/rename these files.

A quick word of advice: If you send some related messages (e.g. from emerge) within your mail it's easier to help.

Steffen

Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 21 November 2009 20:48:04 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Going through a rough patch after a world update. The SD card
on my
> netbook doesn't get mounted, ext2 filesytem not found etc. I've
had
> this problem before which I traced to the lack of support for
SD cards
> in the kernel. This time it's something else. Nothing wrong
with the
> fs, it can be checked and mounted manually. Device-mapper is
not in
> the world file but does exist in /etc/init.d and can be started
and
> stopped OK. When I use it I get messages in the boot console of
being
> incompatible with my baselayout-1.

There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
with baselayout-1. So, your options:

Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc. You'll have to do it sooner
or later, and right now seems to be to be a very good time to do
it.

device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM
David W Noon

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:10:02 +0100, Maxim Wexler wrote about
[gentoo-user] can't remove device-mapper can't install it either:

[snip]
>In an earlier post 'device-mapper', somebody suggested installing lvm2
>and not using device-mapper but this doesn't work for me -- assuming
>my problem has anything to do with device-mapper.

The replacement for device-mapper is the updated udev, not lvm2.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:17:51 +0000, David W Noon wrote:

> The replacement for device-mapper is the updated udev, not lvm2.

Wrong!

% qfile libdevmapper.so
sys-fs/lvm2 (/usr/lib64/libdevmapper.so)
sys-fs/lvm2 (/lib64/libdevmapper.so)

% qfile /etc/init.d/device-mapper
sys-fs/lvm2 (/etc/init.d/device-mapper)

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't let your mind wander, it's too little to be let out alone.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Maxim Wexler

> There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
> with baselayout-1. So, your options:
>
> Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc.

Done, following

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

No joy.

After '*Autoloaded 24 module(s)' in the boot console there's the bit
'*lvm uses addon code which is deprecated' followed by '*Setting up
the LVM...*Checking local filesystems...' /dev/sda1 passes but
fsck.ext2 can't find /dev/sdb1,2 so /var and /home don't get mounted
and the system is crippled, although I can still login and mount by
hand.

> device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
> of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
> portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
> because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2

I removed /etc/conf.d/device-mapper and /etc/init.d/device-mapper. I
emerged lvm2 and lvm is 'started', according to '/etc/init.d/lvm
status'. Question: Is there supposed to be an lvm2 in init.d? I just
have lvm.

IIRC in a thread from a few months ago there was a tip about putting
the 'pause <secs>' command into a certain config file, which I can't
recall. Or was it 'delay <secs>' or 'time <secs>' ? This was meant for
the hardware to catch its breath so to speak and allow the system to
find the SD card. This was about the same time I noticed that SD
support was missing from the kernel. So maybe it was the the delay I
added to that script, which may have disappeared in an etc-update
session, and not the SD support after all. Grabbing straws here ;(

mw

Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 22 November 2009 03:40:50 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
> > with baselayout-1. So, your options:
> >
> > Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc.
>
> Done, following
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> No joy.
>
> After '*Autoloaded 24 module(s)' in the boot console there's the bit
> '*lvm uses addon code which is deprecated' followed by '*Setting up
> the LVM...*Checking local filesystems...' /dev/sda1 passes but
> fsck.ext2 can't find /dev/sdb1,2 so /var and /home don't get mounted
> and the system is crippled, although I can still login and mount by
> hand.

What does that have to do with device-mapper and lvm?

/dev/sd* are physical block devices, not lvm's problem. Check you have support
built for whatever those drives are

> > device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
> > of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
> > portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
> > because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2
>
> I removed /etc/conf.d/device-mapper and /etc/init.d/device-mapper. I
> emerged lvm2 and lvm is 'started', according to '/etc/init.d/lvm
> status'. Question: Is there supposed to be an lvm2 in init.d? I just
> have lvm.

The package is called lvm2.
The script it installs is lvm

> IIRC in a thread from a few months ago there was a tip about putting
> the 'pause <secs>' command into a certain config file, which I can't
> recall. Or was it 'delay <secs>' or 'time <secs>' ? This was meant for
> the hardware to catch its breath so to speak and allow the system to
> find the SD card. This was about the same time I noticed that SD
> support was missing from the kernel. So maybe it was the the delay I
> added to that script, which may have disappeared in an etc-update
> session, and not the SD support after all. Grabbing straws here ;(

Is sdb an SD device? Is the module loaded?

And if you let such an important thing get trashed by etc-update, then you
only have yourself to blame. That'll teach you :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Maxim Wexler

> Is sdb an SD device? Is the module loaded?

from the OP:

Old 11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 22 November 2009 20:18:17 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > Is sdb an SD device? Is the module loaded?
>
> from the OP:
>
> "I've had
> this problem before which I traced to the lack of support for SD
cards
> in the kernel. This time it's something else."

That doesn't answer the question. If support is built as a module,
is it loaded?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Urs Schuetz

Could be baselayout-1. Please take a look at bug #291916 [1]

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/291916

Urs