Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Dan Cowsill

Default Slow samba transfers from gentoo to gentoo, any way to improve them?

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM, App Des <app4des@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a gentoo server running stable fully updated, and I share a folder
> with samba on a gigabit network.
>
> The client dual boots Gentoo (stable again) and Windows 7.
>
> Under windows 7, getting a file from the server achieves around 70MB/s

It is quite possible that Windows 7 is mis-reporting the transfer
speed. To put it in perspective, I would expect around 70-90MB/s from
a direct SATA2 connection to a hard disk, so to hear that network
transfers on gigabit are going around that speed makes me scratch my
head (and a little jealous).

I can usually expect transfers of around 30-40MB/s from my server.
Maybe I'm just used to mediocrity?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM
App Des

I checked with various programs (not only standard explorer copy), and the speeds that are reported from W7 are real, they average at ~70MB/s. The best speed that I have achieved with gentoo, is using gnome gvfs with fuse (without fuse, if it is completely virtual it is worse) , but they are still 35MB/s max. The build-in kernel smbfs/cifs mounting are extremely slower which I don't understand.

I am also using ext4 (on both server and client). The delayed allocation of ext4 afaik is worse than NTFS, so the probability of gentoo speeds being fake instead of Windows7, is higher.

Something to add,
commenting this line in my server smb.conf (which for a strange reason is default in gentoo):

Improved my Windows7 transfers from the ~50MB/s to ~70mb/s.

Maybe I will try re-enabling the line, in case gentoo client likes it better.

Any more ideas?