Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
econti

Default Troubles with kde4

Hi all,
finally I decided to upgrade from kde3 to kde4. All went well, but:

1 - I am not able to fix the frequency of the display, neither using
nvidia-settings nor throught System-settings->Dislplay. Every time a
session starts I have to set it again (and this both as root and as user);

As user only and at the start of every session:

2 - I have to resize the dimension of the Panel;
3 - I have to enable the Compositing (desktop effects)

further

4 - I cannot mount a partition (both from command line and from desktop)
the answer is "Only root can mount a
device" (all permissions are the same as before)
5 - I am not able to become root (both in konsole and term) the answer
is "Authentication failed" (consolekit is
merged)

Thank you in advance.

emilio

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Marcus Wanner

finally I decided to upgrade from kde3 to kde4. All went well, but:

1 - I am not able to fix the frequency of the display, neither using
nvidia-settings nor throught System-settings->Dislplay. Every time a
session starts I have to set it again (and this both as root and as
user);

As user only and at the start of every session:

2 - I have to resize the dimension of the Panel;
3 - I have to enable the Compositing (desktop effects)
Sounds like config files are not being written correctly. I would look
at all of the ".*" folders in your home directory and see if they are
all writable by you. This was likely caused by you trying out startx
while in a root non-login terminal, which used "su" to get into. I did
this once with firefox, and it caused it to fail silently when I tried
to start it.

further

4 - I cannot mount a partition (both from command line and from
desktop) the answer is "Only root can mount a device" (all
permissions are the same as before)
I would check out "groups <username>" and see whether you are a member
of the plugdev group.
5 - I am not able to become root (both in konsole and term) the answer
is "Authentication failed" (consolekit is merged)

Wheel group for this one.

Marcus

Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
econti

cut

further

4 - I cannot mount a partition (both from command line and from
desktop) the answer is "Only root can mount a device" (all
permissions are the same as before)
I would check out "groups <username>" and see whether you are a member
of the plugdev group.
5 - I am not able to become root (both in konsole and term) the
answer is "Authentication failed" (consolekit is merged)

Wheel group for this one.

Marcus

This was the first thing I did. Remeber, we are talking about a kde
upgrade, so groups, permissions, etc should not be changed.

emilio

Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Marcus Wanner

4 - I cannot mount a partition (both from command line and from
desktop) the answer is "Only root can mount a device" (all
permissions are the same as before)
I would check out "groups <username>" and see whether you are a
member of the plugdev group.
5 - I am not able to become root (both in konsole and term) the
answer is "Authentication failed" (consolekit is merged)

Wheel group for this one.

Marcus

This was the first thing I did. Remeber, we are talking about a kde
upgrade, so groups, permissions, etc should not be changed.

emilio
I know, I just thought that maybe for some weird reason it had changed
your groups settings.

I personally don't use kde since I'm on an old 2Ghz Pentium 4 with 256Mb
of RAM...

LXDE ftw!

Marcus