Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Fredrik Andersson

Default emerge hints needed

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Bill Kenworthy wrote:

Some time back I saw someone mention a way to get emerge to install an

ebuild with a bad digest - man emerge shows nothing so can someone give

me a hint. *It was much easier than going down the ebuild path.

*

I think it is --digest. *I don't see it in the man page so you may have to do that with the ebuild command and the manifest option. *See man page to make sure.

I will also add, you should not do this unless it passed the first test and you had to edit the file for some reason. *It could be corrupt or altered in some unknown way otherwise.

ebuild <path-to-ebuild> --digest
*

Also, I am in the process of rescuing a system from the

e2fs/util-linux/device-mapper snafu and find that now I have it booted

re-emerging util-linux wont overwrite the files I manually installed to

replace the missing ones - necessitating manually rm'ing some 50 or so

files - is there a way to force emerge to ignore file collisions and

just overwrite them in this circumstance?

BillK

*

I think you are looking for this option with emerge:

* * *--noconfmem

* * * * * * Causes *portage *to disregard merge records indicating that a config file inside of a CONFIG_PRO-

* * * * * * TECT directory has been merged already. *Portage will normally merge those *files *only *once *to

* * * * * * prevent the user from dealing with the same config multiple times. *This flag will cause the file

* * * * * * to always be merged.

Keep in mind that it will replace whatever it emerges which may include dependencies. *I have never used that option before so be forewarned if it does.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) *:-)

Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
William Kenworthy

Thanks, yes I am aware of the caveats - but they dont really apply when
rescuing something as severely broken as this system was - I upgraded 3
machines without a problem, and this one died on reboot - badly

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:33:17 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

> Thanks, yes I am aware of the caveats - but they dont really apply when
> rescuing something as severely broken as this system was - I upgraded 3
> machines without a problem, and this one died on reboot - badly

Too badly to resync? That should fix the digests. The problem with digest
failures in this situation is that you don't know whether the digest is
wrong or one of the files corrupt.

--
Neil Bothwick

Bury a lawyer 12 feet under, because deep down they're nice.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 AM
William Kenworthy

There is often a couple of ebuilds in the tree that need manual editing
for one reason or another so the digest needs regenerating. For one
off's its easier to do it in situ, but if long term pain is expected its
better to do in an overlay.

Same day I also got caught with googleearth - tried to install it, the
digest is wrong as if they keep changing it (happens nearly everytime
for GE). Gave up and just installed it via the google stuff manually so
I didnt have to deal with it

BillK

Old 11-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:04:18 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

> There is often a couple of ebuilds in the tree that need manual editing
> for one reason or another so the digest needs regenerating. For one
> off's its easier to do it in situ, but if long term pain is expected its
> better to do in an overlay.

Yes, I also edit ebuilds in tree on occasion, but then
"ebuild /path/to/ebuild manifest" is all you need. The digest action for
ebuild was deprecated some time ago, so I'm not surprised it's been
removed as an emerge option. I always thought it was a dangerous option
anyway and it redigested the ebuild of all packages to be emerged, not
just the one that needed it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 21 November 2009 11:04:18 William Kenworthy wrote:
> There is often a couple of ebuilds in the tree that need manual
editing
> for one reason or another so the digest needs regenerating.
For one
> off's its easier to do it in situ, but if long term pain is
expected its
> better to do in an overlay.
>
> Same day I also got caught with googleearth - tried to install
it, the
> digest is wrong as if they keep changing it (happens nearly
everytime
> for GE). Gave up and just installed it via the google stuff
manually so
> I didnt have to deal with it

Googleearth downloads are not versioned. Just like sun-jdk used
to be, and a whole raft of stupid dumb-ass proprietary stuff out
there.

The md5sum can change as often as the app dev can ftp new
versions up there, and usually the ebuild maintainer doesn't
catch it right away. He then has to download a copy for himself,
check that it is legit, and update the ebuild.

It's a royal pita. Easiest way it is to redigest ebuilds yourself
for these proprietary closed-source apps.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com