Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default equery versus q-tools

Hi,

there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
when to prefer which one.

On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
symlinks to /usr/bin/q
like
qfile
qdepends
quse
and so on.

Often they offer similar tasks.
I wonder when to use which one.
Which is faster, more reliable, ...

Many thanks for sharing your experience,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Marcus Wanner

there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
when to prefer which one.

On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
symlinks to /usr/bin/q
like
qfile
qdepends
quse
and so on.

Often they offer similar tasks.
I wonder when to use which one.
Which is faster, more reliable, ...

Many thanks for sharing your experience,
Helmut.

I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official
gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth, though,
I have never even heard of q-tools...

Marcus

Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 20 Nov, Marcus Wanner wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 4:00 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
>> when to prefer which one.
>>
>> On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
>> On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
>> symlinks to /usr/bin/q
>> like
>> qfile
>> qdepends
>> quse
>> and so on.
>>
>> Often they offer similar tasks.
>> I wonder when to use which one.
>> Which is faster, more reliable, ...
>>
>> Many thanks for sharing your experience,
>> Helmut.
>>
> I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official
> gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth, though,
> I have never even heard of q-tools...

No wonder, it's just my personal nickname for it.
The official name is
app-portage/portage-util

Helmut.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Marcus Wanner

[...]

Ah. Then I can't really give you any recommendation besides the fact
that gentoolkit seems to be what most people use, and there is certainly
something to be said for using the most popular programs since there
will be faster support and bugfixes. Or course, that is a valid decision
criteria only when there is no other reason to choose a specific option
(there would be no such thing as the linux or even gentoo user base
otherwise).

Marcus

Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Dale

Marcus Wanner wrote:

there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
when to prefer which one.

On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
symlinks to /usr/bin/q
like
qfile
qdepends
quse
and so on.

Often they offer similar tasks.
I wonder when to use which one.
Which is faster, more reliable, ...

Many thanks for sharing your experience,
Helmut.

I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official
gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth,
though, I have never even heard of q-tools...

Marcus

But as I have seen and read about, equery is not always correct. It is
handy but you need to take its results with a little salt.

That said, I use it a lot. just have to use the old noodle still.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:23:03 -0500, Marcus Wanner wrote:

> Ah. Then I can't really give you any recommendation besides the fact
> that gentoolkit seems to be what most people use, and there is
> certainly something to be said for using the most popular programs
> since there will be faster support and bugfixes.

Like Windows?

equery is known to give incorrect results, and has done for years.

--
Neil Bothwick

I don't know if I can assimilate one more Borg Tagline!

Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Marcus Wanner

Ah. Then I can't really give you any recommendation besides the fact
that gentoolkit seems to be what most people use, and there is

certainly something to be said for using the most popular programs
since there will be faster support and bugfixes.

Like Windows?

I did say (right after the snip) that:
"Or course, that is a valid decision criteria only when there is no
other reason to choose a specific option (there would be no such thing
as the linux or even gentoo user base otherwise)."

What I meant by that was, quite frankly, that Windows sucks.

Marcus