Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Jarry

Default where can I find USE flags description?

Hi,

I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
Is it something for vmware?

I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
there are not all of them...

Jarry

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Alex Schuster

Jarry writes:

> I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
> there are not all of them...

There's also /usr/local/portage/layman/*/profiles/use.local.desc

Wonko

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Remy Blank

Jarry wrote:
> Where can I find their
> description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
> Is it something for vmware?

emerge gentoolkit
euse -i vmmouse

-- Remy

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
> so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
> various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
> description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
> Is it something for vmware?
>
> I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
> there are not all of them...

I'm sure there are 10 ways of doing it, but this is what I use:

equery u x11-base/xorg-drivers

equery is part of app-portage/gentoolkit in case you don't have it
installed. It can do other useful things such as tell you which
package installed a file, or show all files installed by a package.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
>> so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
>> various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
>> description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
>> Is it something for vmware?
>>
>> I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
>> there are not all of them...
>
> I'm sure there are 10 ways of doing it, but this is what I use:
>
> equery u x11-base/xorg-drivers
>
> equery is part of app-portage/gentoolkit in case you don't have it
> installed. It can do other useful things such as tell you which
> package installed a file, or show all files installed by a package.

And in the specific case of xorg-drivers those aren't USE flags at all
but driver flags

Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Steven Ringwald

Don't know how current the list is, but:
http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
Steve

Old 11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Paul Hartman
I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
Is it something for vmware?

I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
there are not all of them...

I'm sure there are 10 ways of doing it, but this is what I use:

equery u x11-base/xorg-drivers

equery is part of app-portage/gentoolkit in case you don't have it
installed. It can do other useful things such as tell you which
package installed a file, or show all files installed by a package.

And in the specific case of xorg-drivers those aren't USE flags at all
but driver flags

But it beats having to type in each one of them separately with euse
-i. I like this little guy:

root@smoker / # equery u seamonkey
[ Searching for packages matching seamonkey... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
[ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for www-client/seamonkey-1.1.18 ]
U I
- - crypt : Add support for encryption -- using mcrypt or gpg
where applicable
- - debug : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra
output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml

- - gnome : Adds GNOME support
+ + ipv6 : Adds support for IP version 6
+ + java : Adds support for Java
+ + ldap : Adds LDAP support (Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol)

- - mozdevelop : Enable features for web developers (e.g. Venkman)
- - moznocompose : Disable building of mozilla's HTML editor component
- - moznoirc : Disable building of mozilla's IRC client
- - moznomail : Disable building mozilla's mail client
- - moznopango : Disable x11-libs/pango during runtime
- - moznoroaming : sroaming extension support
- - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
- - xforms : XForms is a standard to split up XHTML into XForms,
instance data, and user interface
- - xinerama : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which
allows you to stretch your display across multiple monitors

root@smoker / #

This is cool. Can emerge do this too? You know, maybe some flag to
have in addition to -p or -a and have it show this? Since I asked,
watch it do this in some nice shiney new version of portage. lol

Yep, another tool to add to frequent commands.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Johannes Kimmel

Jarry wrote:

Hi,

I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
Is it something for vmware?

I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
there are not all of them...

Jarry

Maybe you want to try this little peace of code:

alias findflag="flagedit --desc --list | grep -i"

Works really great. If you search for a pattern, just "findflag foo". If
you search for a specific use-flag you just add ":" at the end, like
"findflag bar:"

Don't forget to install flagedit first, if you haven't already.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Stroller

I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
Is it something for vmware?

I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
there are not all of them...

Jarry

Maybe you want to try this little peace of code:

alias findflag="flagedit --desc --list | grep -i"

Works really great. If you search for a pattern, just "findflag
foo". If you search for a specific use-flag you just add ":" at the
end, like "findflag bar:"

Don't forget to install flagedit first, if you haven't already.

Surely this is just a re-implementation of the existing app-portage/
euses?

$ euses foo
foomaticdb - Adds support for the foomatic printing driver database
$

Stroller.