FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Francisco Ares
 
Default kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post

your xdm and kdm log file.



Hung



Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi, All

>

> After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's

> user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few

> seconds after password, the login windows reappears.

>

> But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing

> that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.

>

> Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?

>

> Thanks

> Francisco

>

> --





Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.

I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet. Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.


Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during my* login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.

Any hint?

Thanks again
Francisco



--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Francisco Ares
 
Default kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:




On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@gmail.com> wrote:



Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post

your xdm and kdm log file.



Hung



Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi, All

>

> After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's

> user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few

> seconds after password, the login windows reappears.

>

> But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing

> that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.

>

> Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?

>

> Thanks

> Francisco

>

> --





Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.

I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet. Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.




Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during my* login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard



(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.

Any hint?

Thanks again


Francisco
Well, I had consolekit up an running and didn't know that, sorry.

There is no xdm log, and the only two entries already mentioned.


I'll try to remove the user and add it again, perhaps a permissions issue.

Thanks again
Francisco
--

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
James Ausmus
 
Default kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:


On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:





On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@gmail.com> wrote:




Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post

your xdm and kdm log file.



Hung



Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi, All

>

> After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's

> user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few

> seconds after password, the login windows reappears.

>

> But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing

> that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.

>

> Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?

>

> Thanks

> Francisco

>

> --





Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.

I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet. Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.





Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during my* login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard




(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.

Any hint?

Thanks again



Francisco
Well, I had consolekit up an running and didn't know that, sorry.

There is no xdm log, and the only two entries already mentioned.



I'll try to remove the user and add it again, perhaps a permissions issue.

Have you checked to see what ~/.xsession-errors contains? It might give you some hints as to what is happening. Also, does top show anything consuming a lot of CPU or a lot of memory? (M to sort by memory usage, P to sort by CPU usage)

-James
 
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works

Thanks a lot, guys.* I don't like it, but I have removed and created again the user, and now everything works as expected.

I said I don't like it because we didn't exactly know where the problem was. I've checked permissions and groups before that, and had the home directory backed up before removing the user and completely restored after the user creation, so all files and directories kept the same permissions and mode bits and the user has the same uid and belongs to the same groups as before.


I'm surely capable to live without that knowledge, but I can't help thinking I would live better if knowing ;-)

Thanks again
Francisco

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:22 PM, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@gmail.com> wrote:



On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:



On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:






On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@gmail.com> wrote:





Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post

your xdm and kdm log file.



Hung



Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi, All

>

> After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's

> user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few

> seconds after password, the login windows reappears.

>

> But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing

> that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.

>

> Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?

>

> Thanks

> Francisco

>

> --





Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.

I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet. Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.






Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during my* login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard





(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.

Any hint?

Thanks again




Francisco
Well, I had consolekit up an running and didn't know that, sorry.

There is no xdm log, and the only two entries already mentioned.




I'll try to remove the user and add it again, perhaps a permissions issue.

Have you checked to see what ~/.xsession-errors contains? It might give you some hints as to what is happening. Also, does top show anything consuming a lot of CPU or a lot of memory? (M to sort by memory usage, P to sort by CPU usage)


-James



--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org