Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

Default configuring wlan0

Hi,

I recently moved from a wired ethernet interface to wireless via ndiswrapper.
I now have wlan0 interface, and configuring it by hand works fine.

But, on boot, it's not coming up. The initscript gets as far as setting up the
essid, but then says that it cannot configure it. That's the only feedback.

msoulier@anton:~$ cat /etc/conf.d/net
essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
msoulier@anton:~$ ls -l /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Nov 8 2008 /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 -> net.lo

Do I need more here? I'm not yet running encryption, just a MAC filter, so no
other wireless params are needed.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 01:20:15 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently moved from a wired ethernet interface to wireless via
> ndiswrapper. I now have wlan0 interface, and configuring it by hand works
> fine.
>
> But, on boot, it's not coming up. The initscript gets as far as setting up
> the essid, but then says that it cannot configure it. That's the only
> feedback.
>
> msoulier@anton:~$ cat /etc/conf.d/net
> essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
> config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
> routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
> msoulier@anton:~$ ls -l /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Nov 8 2008 /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 -> net.lo
>
> Do I need more here? I'm not yet running encryption, just a MAC filter, so
> no other wireless params are needed.

Forget all about conf.d/net, and disable the init scripts for it.

Install and run wicd instead.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

On 18/11/09 Alan McKinnon said:

> Forget all about conf.d/net, and disable the init scripts for it.
>
> Install and run wicd instead.

I'll look into it, but the Gentoo Handbook still points at conf.d/net, so
should there not be an update if it has fallen out of favour? Should the bugs
in conf.d/net not be fixed?

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 15:11:05 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 18/11/09 Alan McKinnon said:
> > Forget all about conf.d/net, and disable the init scripts for it.
> >
> > Install and run wicd instead.
>
> I'll look into it, but the Gentoo Handbook still points at conf.d/net, so
> should there not be an update if it has fallen out of favour? Should the
> bugs in conf.d/net not be fixed?

I don't think that there bugs in conf.d/net just a matter of preference. Alan
suggested that wicd is a simpler way to have your wireless configured and it
does not need /etc/init.d/*net scripts to function.

I am running wpa_supplicant:

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )

wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"

and it just works™ for my wireless card.

You may want to try something like this in your /etc/conf.d/net:

sleep_scan_wlan0="1"

config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
fallback_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
fallback_route_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )

in case there is a dhcp problem with how the router releases IP address
leases.
Mick

Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Space Cakex