Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Mick

Default configuring wlan0

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 23:38:22 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 18/11/09 Mick said:
> > I don't think that there bugs in conf.d/net just a matter of preference.
> > Alan suggested that wicd is a simpler way to have your wireless
> > configured and it does not need /etc/init.d/*net scripts to function.
> >
> > I am running wpa_supplicant:
> >
> > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
> >
> > wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"
> >
> > and it just works??? for my wireless card.
> >
> > You may want to try something like this in your /etc/conf.d/net:
> >
> > sleep_scan_wlan0="1"
> >
> > config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
> > fallback_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
> > fallback_route_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
> >
> > in case there is a dhcp problem with how the router releases IP address
> > leases.
>
> I'm not using dhcp, just a static address.

Does your router know this? I'm not being funny, but I had run into a problem
sometime in the past where a change in the dhcpcd version caused the router to
not read the NIC MAC address correctly. That created a clash with the IP
address lease.

> All I want the damn scripts to
> do is this
>
> modprobe ndiswrapper

OK, have you looked in your logs/dmesg? I think that the ndiswrapper has to
load first and probe your NIC, before /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 launches. It may
pay to keep an eye on the router logs while your machine boots.

My line above with sleep_scan_wlan0="1" or say "3" seconds delay may help, if
this is the problem.

> iwconfig wlan0 essid digitaltorque
> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add default gw 192.168.0.1
>
> After looking at the net.example again maybe I need this
>
> modules=( "ifconfig" "iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" )

If you have not installed wpa_supplicant you don't need this. Just make sure
#modules=( "wpa_supplicant" ) is commented out. iwconfig is the default
anyway. ifconfig or iproute2 will work so I don't think that you need to
define that either. Your entries:

essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )

are correct - so the error is not because of these.

> Or maybe I should just run an rc.local script.

You could use the preup scripts in /etc/conf.d/net, if for some reason the
ndiswrapper takes for ever to kick into action.

HTH.
Mick

Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Mick

2009/11/20 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 18 November 2009 23:38:22 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>> On 18/11/09 Mick said:
>> > I don't think that there bugs in conf.d/net just a matter of preference.
>> > Alan suggested that wicd is a simpler way to have your wireless
>> > configured and it does not need /etc/init.d/*net scripts to function.
>> >
>> > I am running wpa_supplicant:
>> >
>> > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
>> >
>> > wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"
>> >
>> > and it just works??? for my wireless card.
>> >
>> > You may want to try something like this in your /etc/conf.d/net:
>> >
>> > sleep_scan_wlan0="1"
>> >
>> > config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
>> > fallback_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
>> > fallback_route_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
>> >
>> > in case there is a dhcp problem with how the router releases IP address
>> > leases.
>>
>> I'm not using dhcp, just a static address.
>
> Does your router know this? *I'm not being funny, but I had run into a problem
> sometime in the past where a change in the dhcpcd version caused the router to
> not read the NIC MAC address correctly. *That created a clash with the IP
> address lease.
>
>> All I want the damn scripts to
>> *do is this
>>
>> modprobe ndiswrapper
>
> OK, have you looked in your logs/dmesg? *I think that the ndiswrapper has to
> load first and probe your NIC, before /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 launches. *It may
> pay to keep an eye on the router logs while your machine boots.
>
> My line above with sleep_scan_wlan0="1" or say "3" seconds delay may help, if
> this is the problem.
>
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid digitaltorque
>> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> route add default gw 192.168.0.1
>>
>> After looking at the net.example again maybe I need this
>>
>> modules=( "ifconfig" "iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" )
>
> If you have not installed wpa_supplicant you don't need this. *Just make sure
> #modules=( "wpa_supplicant" ) is commented out. *iwconfig is the default
> anyway. *ifconfig or iproute2 will work so I don't think that you need to
> define that either. *Your entries:
>
> essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
> config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
> routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
>
> are correct - so the error is not because of these.
>
>> Or maybe I should just run an rc.local script.
>
> You could use the preup scripts in /etc/conf.d/net, if for some reason the
> ndiswrapper takes for ever to kick into action.

I just noticed that the latest dhcpcd-4.0.15 is playing up when it
comes up. It seems that on 3 out of 5 it will time out when my
machine boots up. It works fine if I bring it up manually thereafter,
or run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart. The previous version worked
without timing out. This may be related to how dhcpcd interacts with
my router - or it could also be related to your problem? I haven't
had time to troublshoot it yet.
Mick

Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 AM
"Michael P. Soulier"

On 20/11/09 Mick said:

> Does your router know this? I'm not being funny, but I had run into a problem
> sometime in the past where a change in the dhcpcd version caused the router to
> not read the NIC MAC address correctly. That created a clash with the IP
> address lease.

If I configure it statically then it dhcpcd shouldn't run at all. It works
fine when I configure it by hand.

> OK, have you looked in your logs/dmesg? I think that the ndiswrapper has to
> load first and probe your NIC, before /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 launches. It may
> pay to keep an eye on the router logs while your machine boots.
>
> My line above with sleep_scan_wlan0="1" or say "3" seconds delay may help, if
> this is the problem.

I'll play with it a bit.

> If you have not installed wpa_supplicant you don't need this. Just make sure
> #modules=( "wpa_supplicant" ) is commented out. iwconfig is the default
> anyway. ifconfig or iproute2 will work so I don't think that you need to
> define that either. Your entries:
>
> essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
> config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
> routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
>
> are correct - so the error is not because of these.
>
> > Or maybe I should just run an rc.local script.
>
> You could use the preup scripts in /etc/conf.d/net, if for some reason the
> ndiswrapper takes for ever to kick into action.

Hmm. I did put ndiswrapper in my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, so it
should be loaded at boot, but maybe it takes too long, causing a race
condition at boot.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Old 11-27-2009, 01:58 AM
"Michael P. Soulier"

On 23/11/09 Mick said:

> I just noticed that the latest dhcpcd-4.0.15 is playing up when it
> comes up. It seems that on 3 out of 5 it will time out when my
> machine boots up. It works fine if I bring it up manually thereafter,
> or run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart. The previous version worked
> without timing out. This may be related to how dhcpcd interacts with
> my router - or it could also be related to your problem? I haven't
> had time to troublshoot it yet.

I'd be surprised, as it shouldn't be run at all.

Mike