Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default decrapify your kernel config

Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
> Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.

hmm, interesting ... ;-)

for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...

To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?

This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).

So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?

;-)

I am quite sure to have at least *some* crap in my config as I tend to
always do something like

zcat /proc/config.gz >> /usr/src/linux-new-shiny-version/.config
make oldconfig

This gives me expected results and a "it boots OK" experience, getting
rid of unused crap is another issue, yes.

I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...

Stefan

Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 18 November 2009, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
> > Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
>
> hmm, interesting ... ;-)
>
> for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...
>
> To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
>
> This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
> from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
> 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
> example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).
>
> So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
> options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?

yepp - and under embedded you might find some other stuff to turn off.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 01:16:04 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
> > Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
>
> hmm, interesting ... ;-)
>
> for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...
>
> To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
>
> This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
> from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
> 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
> example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).
>
> So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
> options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?
>
> ;-)
>
> I am quite sure to have at least *some* crap in my config as I tend to
> always do something like
>
> zcat /proc/config.gz >> /usr/src/linux-new-shiny-version/.config
> make oldconfig

> This gives me expected results and a "it boots OK" experience, getting
> rid of unused crap is another issue, yes.
>
> I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...

Likely none of them.

The embedded menu is the most counter-intuitive thing in the whole kernel
config. It does not supply a list of things you may enable, instead it
activates a menu that allows you to switch stuff OFF that is normally ON.

The rationale is that embedded devices need to get by on a very slim kernel
and with some magic trickery they can successfully disable some features that
are usually considered perfectly normal for regular desktop use.

For example: CONFIG_HOTPLUG. It's unthinkable to remove this for a desktop,
but does your TomTom need it? Does a GPS even have hotplug facilities? How
about ADSL router/modems?

To disable namespace, enable embedded, leave everything on, and you will find
you can now disable namespaces.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 18 November 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 November 2009 01:16:04 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
> > > Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
> >
> > hmm, interesting ... ;-)
> >
> > for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...
> >
> > To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
> >
> > This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
> > from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
> > 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
> > example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).
> >
> > So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
> > options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > I am quite sure to have at least *some* crap in my config as I tend to
> > always do something like
> >
> > zcat /proc/config.gz >> /usr/src/linux-new-shiny-version/.config
> > make oldconfig

> > This gives me expected results and a "it boots OK" experience, getting
> > rid of unused crap is another issue, yes.
> >
> > I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...
>
> Likely none of them.
>
> The embedded menu is the most counter-intuitive thing in the whole kernel
> config. It does not supply a list of things you may enable, instead it
> activates a menu that allows you to switch stuff OFF that is normally ON.
>
> The rationale is that embedded devices need to get by on a very slim kernel
> and with some magic trickery they can successfully disable some features
> that are usually considered perfectly normal for regular desktop use.
>
> For example: CONFIG_HOTPLUG. It's unthinkable to remove this for a desktop,
> but does your TomTom need it? Does a GPS even have hotplug facilities? How
> about ADSL router/modems?
>
> To disable namespace, enable embedded, leave everything on, and you will
> find you can now disable namespaces.

you can disable:
- Enable 16-bit UID system calls

- Sysctl syscall support
without negative impact on a desktop. Most of it is broken for years anyway.

- Core dumps
are another feature that most people never use

- Load all symbols for debugging/ksymoops
and
- Do an extra kallsyms pass
stuff you can deactivate if you don't plan to send crash reports.

- Enable PC-Speaker support
oh hell - away with that one! Who needs beeps anyway?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
daid kahl

> To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
>
> This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
> from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
> 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
> example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).

> I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...

I just lost about a whole day from this silly option. I need to run
embedded or my laptop hoykeys won't work!

~daid

Old 12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
> On Mittwoch 18 November 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> hmm, interesting ... ;-)
>>>
>>> for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...
>>>
>>> To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
>>>
>>> This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
>>> from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
>>> 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
>>> example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).
>>>
>>> So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
>>> options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> I am quite sure to have at least *some* crap in my config as I tend to
>>> always do something like
>>>
>>> zcat /proc/config.gz >> /usr/src/linux-new-shiny-version/.config
>>> make oldconfig

>>> This gives me expected results and a "it boots OK" experience, getting
>>> rid of unused crap is another issue, yes.
>>>
>>> I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...
>> Likely none of them.
>>
>> The embedded menu is the most counter-intuitive thing in the whole kernel
>> config. It does not supply a list of things you may enable, instead it
>> activates a menu that allows you to switch stuff OFF that is normally ON.
>>
>> The rationale is that embedded devices need to get by on a very slim kernel
>> and with some magic trickery they can successfully disable some features
>> that are usually considered perfectly normal for regular desktop use.
>>
>> For example: CONFIG_HOTPLUG. It's unthinkable to remove this for a desktop,
>> but does your TomTom need it? Does a GPS even have hotplug facilities? How
>> about ADSL router/modems?
>>
>> To disable namespace, enable embedded, leave everything on, and you will
>> find you can now disable namespaces.
>>

> you can disable:
> - Enable 16-bit UID system calls
>
> - Sysctl syscall support
> without negative impact on a desktop. Most of it is broken for years anyway.
>
> - Core dumps
> are another feature that most people never use
>
> - Load all symbols for debugging/ksymoops
> and
> - Do an extra kallsyms pass
> stuff you can deactivate if you don't plan to send crash reports.
>
> - Enable PC-Speaker support
> oh hell - away with that one! Who needs beeps anyway?

whoops. I hadn't looked back at that thread for weeks, only found it now.

Thanks for your replies ....

Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Alan McKinnon schrieb:

> To disable namespace, enable embedded, leave everything on, and you will find
> you can now disable namespaces.

did that, as well as the other suggestions by Volker, recompiled kernel
sits there and waits until I re-emerged stuff related to that
patch-2.6-issue ;-)

Thanks.

Stefan