Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default strange delays with Xorg-x11-7.4-r1

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> Since upgrading to Xorg-x11-7.4-r1 , Xterm & Xpdf are very slow to open:
> Xterm takes c 6 sec to start & Xpdf also has a noticeable delay.
>
> Has anyone else seen this & is there a solution ?

er... routes? localhost in /etc/hosts? Sounds weird but in the XFree86
days I had not mapped the word localhost to 127 properly, and X behaved
very slow. Just a wild guess though.

Alternatively, reboot to make sure you've unloaded / reloaded modules.
What did you upgrade from? 7.x? 6.x?

When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Philip Webb

091111 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Since upgrading to Xorg-x11-7.4-r1 , Xterm & Xpdf are very slow to open:
>> Xterm takes c 6 sec to start & Xpdf also has a noticeable delay.
> routes ?

Could you expand a little ... (smile) ?

> localhost in /etc/hosts ? Sounds weird, but in the XFree86 days
> I had not mapped the word localhost to 127 properly
> and X behaved very slow. Just a wild guess though.

The uncommented lines in that file are

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Ok, a wild guess (grin).

> Alternatively, reboot to make sure you've unloaded / reloaded modules.

I don't have any modules except Nvidia & I reboot at least daily.

> What did you upgrade from ? 7.x ? 6.x ?

7.3 IIRC

Anyone else see this or have advice ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:
> 091111 Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>>
>>> Since upgrading to Xorg-x11-7.4-r1 , Xterm & Xpdf are very slow to open:
>>> Xterm takes c 6 sec to start & Xpdf also has a noticeable delay.
>>>
>> routes ?
>>

> Could you expand a little ... (smile) ?
>

>> localhost in /etc/hosts ? Sounds weird, but in the XFree86 days
>> I had not mapped the word localhost to 127 properly
>> and X behaved very slow. Just a wild guess though.
>>

> The uncommented lines in that file are
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> ::1 localhost
>
> Ok, a wild guess (grin).
>

>> Alternatively, reboot to make sure you've unloaded / reloaded modules.
>>

> I don't have any modules except Nvidia & I reboot at least daily.
>

>> What did you upgrade from ? 7.x ? 6.x ?
>>

> 7.3 IIRC
>
> Anyone else see this or have advice ?

Run top and see if something strange is there. No clue what but maybe
there will be a clue there. May try iotop to see if the drive is a
bottle neck. If it is, check to make sure the drives are using DMA or
whatever is fastest for your system. Could even run hdparm -Tt to test
the drives as well.

Just throwing out ideas here.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 18:19 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> 091111 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> Since upgrading to Xorg-x11-7.4-r1 , Xterm & Xpdf are very slow to open:
> >> Xterm takes c 6 sec to start & Xpdf also has a noticeable delay.
> > routes ?
>
> Could you expand a little ... (smile) ?

only thinking down the localhost trail again - make sure 127 is routed
through lo.

other than that the disk / cpu does nothing? Run lsmod and see if the
nvidia driver is actually being used? (I have 48 in the used-by column).
Is the general refresh rate and glx type apps ok?

I don't think you need to rebuild nvidia, but did you anyway? You've
probably answered most of these yourself already, but it doesn't hurt to
check...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Roy Wright