Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Marcus Wanner

Default Suncom FX2000 Joystick: Buttons but not analog working...

I have an old Suncom FX200 Joystick which I recently tried to get
working with my gentoo system. I tried using various methods, with
outcomes varying from epic fail to almost success, and finally got
results after following the guide at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Joystick

I did what it said in the Kernel Configuration and Gameport Joysticks
sections (the one uses the parallel port on my sound card), and chose
the "Classic Analog" joystick driver, as there is not one for my
specific model (or manufacturer). I compiled, installed, and booted into
the new kernel, and continued with the testing and calibration.

After emerging the joystick package, I ran the dmesg | grep -i Joystick
command, and this was the output:
[ 4.329910] input: Analog 4-axis 4-button joystick as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:07.0/gameport0/input/input5

Which was more or less correct, except that it is a 3-axis stick. I ran
cat /dev/input/js0, which produced the desired garbage data, but new
data appeared only on button presses, not stick movements, which was
where I first noticed problems. Anyway, I ran jstest /dev/input/js0,
which showed that axes 0 and 1 were always at 0 (regardless of actual
stick position), and 2 and 3 were always -32767, regardless of the
position of the throttle wheel.

I ran jscal -c /dev/input/js0 to calibrate the joystick, and when I run
it now without the -c option, it outputs:

Joystick has 4 axes and 4 buttons.
Correction for axis 0 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 1789, 2299, 419758, 419758
Correction for axis 1 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 700, 900, 1073741, 1073741
Correction for axis 2 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 1422, 1422, 377546, 377546
Correction for axis 3 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 1422, 1422, 377546, 377546

Ok, so now you all know the facts. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance, and for all your previous help with the ethernet card
drivers!

Marcus

Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Marcus Wanner

[...]

Anyone?

If no one has any advice for that specific stick, how would I go about
debugging it myself? What about the joydump kernel module?

Marcus