Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Grant

Default {OT?} What happened to iexplore in wine?

I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. Does
anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
anything.

- Grant

Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Neal Hogan

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. *Does
> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
> anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'test in IE', but I, if you haven't
heard of it, browsershots.org is pretty cool for showing what your
site looks like in various browsers, including IE.

This way you can avoid wine and IE all together.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Jesús Guerrero

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 05:02:54 -0800, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. Does
> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
> anything.

Wine never included IE by default so I have no idea what are you talking
about, probably some custom setup.

Look into ies4wine for an easy way to install IE on wine, I guess that's
what you need.

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
alex ponomarev

I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a

while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. *Does

anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?

I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see

anything.

- Grant

It seems like there is a loadable module for iexpolre. I found it in my /usr/lib32/wine/. It's name is iexplore.exe.so, so I think you need to load this module... I just don't know how - I haven't even do it.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Grant

>> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
>> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. *Does
>> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
>> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
>> anything.

Great site, I will use that a lot.

The nice thing about iexplore is it lets you interact with the
browser, and some pages I need to test are the result of a POST.

My memory failed me before. iexplore is run like this:

wine iexplore www.example.com

For me the window it loads is blank though. Is it working for anyone else?

- Grant

Old 11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Boris Fersing

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 14:28, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
>>> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. *Does
>>> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
>>> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
>>> anything.
>
> Great site, I will use that a lot.
>
> The nice thing about iexplore is it lets you interact with the
> browser, and some pages I need to test are the result of a POST.
>
> My memory failed me before. *iexplore is run like this:
>
> wine iexplore www.example.com
>
> For me the window it loads is blank though. *Is it working for anyone else?

I didn't know this command, it works well for me.

Boris

--
42

Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Grant

>> Great site, I will use that a lot.
>>
>> The nice thing about iexplore is it lets you interact with the
>> browser, and some pages I need to test are the result of a POST.
>>
>> My memory failed me before. *iexplore is run like this:
>>
>> wine iexplore www.example.com
>>
>> For me the window it loads is blank though. *Is it working for anyone else?
>
> I didn't know this command, it works well for me.
>
> Boris

It's working for me now too. I just needed to wait a while for it to
fully load.

- Grant

Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Jesús Guerrero

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 05:34:35 -0800, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great site, I will use that a lot.
>>>
>>> The nice thing about iexplore is it lets you interact with the
>>> browser, and some pages I need to test are the result of a POST.
>>>
>>> My memory failed me before. *iexplore is run like this:
>>>
>>> wine iexplore www.example.com
>>>
>>> For me the window it loads is blank though. *Is it working for anyone
>>> else?
>>
>> I didn't know this command, it works well for me.
>>
>> Boris
>
> It's working for me now too. I just needed to wait a while for it to
> fully load.
>
> - Grant

That's not the MS Internet Explorer. If you are using it to check your
site compatibility with MSIE then you are doing it wrong. If you want MSIE,
you have to install MSIE.
--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 08 November 2009 21:56:36 Jesús Guerrero wrote:

> sort?

> >> I didn't know this command, it works well for me.
> >>
> >> Boris
> >
> > It's working for me now too. I just needed to wait a while for it to
> > fully load.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> That's not the MS Internet Explorer. If you are using it to check your
> site compatibility with MSIE then you are doing it wrong. If you want MSIE,
> you have to install MSIE.

A word of warning though - it's fragile, often doesn't install right and tends
to break often with each successive version of wine. And that's IE6. We won't
even talk about IE7...

IE6 installs nicely into a Crossover-Office bottle though. It's worth the
price of a CrossOver license if you really need Windows stuff for work.

Alternatively, winetricks by Dan Kegel helps with all the drudge work of
installing into vanilla wine whatever crapfest of dependencies IE6 needs.
Google for it, there's almost always a current thread on the wine forum about
the most recent procedure.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. Does
> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
> anything.

In my experience, even when IE works in Wine it doesn't work exactly
the same as it does on a real Windows machine. I think a much more
reliable way to test things in IE is to download the free XP and Vista
virtual machine images from Microsoft which are intended for exactly
this purpose:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef&displaylang=en

And here's someone's blog about converting the VirtualPC hard drive
image into other formats for use on Linux in Virtualbox:
http://www.abdevelopment.ca/blog/running-microsofts-ie-application-compatibility-images-virtualbox

Rather than downloading several virtual machine images, you could just
download one and install IETester into it:
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
which lets you do browsing with IE versions from 5.5 through 8 and
side-by-side comparisons between versions.