Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Stroller

Default ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?

On 7 Nov 2009, at 10:01, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:

Hi there,

I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
Does anyone know what it is, please?

# ps -e | grep peg
816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
#

A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
# ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
816 [pegasus]
13927 grep --colour=auto peg
#

But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean,
please?

afaik it is a kernel process.

Yes, on a second look I find other processes bracketed similarly -
e.g. rt2500pci and reiserfs.

I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can unload
it:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y
$

Stroller.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2009, at 10:01, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
> >> Does anyone know what it is, please?
> >>
> >> # ps -e | grep peg
> >> 816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
> >> #
> >>
> >> A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
> >> # ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
> >> 816 [pegasus]
> >> 13927 grep --colour=auto peg
> >> #
> >>
> >> But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean,
> >> please?
> >
> > afaik it is a kernel process.
>
> Yes, on a second look I find other processes bracketed similarly -
> e.g. rt2500pci and reiserfs.
>
> I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can unload
> it:
>
> $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
> CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y

it is not a module, but compiled in. You have to rebuild your kernel. And
probably decrapify your config a lot.