Old 11-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Stroller

Default ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?

Hi there,

I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
Does anyone know what it is, please?

# ps -e | grep peg
816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
#

A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
# ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
816 [pegasus]
13927 grep --colour=auto peg
#

But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean, please?

`locate pegasus` only finds source files to a kernel driver - they
appear to relate to a USB network adaptor, as they're in /usr/
src/...drivers/net/usb/ however I can't say I've used one of those on
this system since it was last rebooted 2 weeks ago. I don't believe
this driver is loaded:

# lsmod | wc -l
49
# lsmod | grep peg
#

Obviously one is slightly paranoid when one encounters an unknown
process running on one's system, with the thought that one has been
hacked. I'm sure this isn't the case, but if someone could tell me
what this is it would reassure me and I would be grateful.

TIA,

Stroller.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
> Does anyone know what it is, please?
>
> # ps -e | grep peg
> 816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
> #
>
> A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
> # ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
> 816 [pegasus]
> 13927 grep --colour=auto peg
> #
>
> But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean, please?

afaik it is a kernel process.