Old 11-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Mike Mazur

Default WiFi access point with iwl3945

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my laptop to be a wireless access point. It has
an iwl3945 card. I followed the "Atheros Ath5k Wireless Access Point"
article on gentoo-wiki.com[1] before realizing that it was Atheros
specific.

Part of the setup uses hostapd[2]. Looking at this, it's not
immediately clear that iwlwifi is supported.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to use hostapd with iwlwifi
drivers? Is there an alternative access point software I can use?

Thanks,
Mike

[1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Atheros_Ath5k_Wireless_Access_Point
[2] http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/

Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Florian Philipp

Mike Mazur schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up my laptop to be a wireless access point. It has
> an iwl3945 card. I followed the "Atheros Ath5k Wireless Access Point"
> article on gentoo-wiki.com[1] before realizing that it was Atheros
> specific.
>
> Part of the setup uses hostapd[2]. Looking at this, it's not
> immediately clear that iwlwifi is supported.
>
> Does anyone know whether it's possible to use hostapd with iwlwifi
> drivers? Is there an alternative access point software I can use?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>

> [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Atheros_Ath5k_Wireless_Access_Point
> [2] http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/

Sorry, your hardware doesn't support working as an access point.

Except of buying new hardware, I think your only chance is to run in
ad-hoc mode.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Mike Mazur

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 18:08, Florian Philipp
<lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> Mike Mazur schrieb:
>> I'm trying to set up my laptop to be a wireless access point. It has
>> an iwl3945 card. I followed the "Atheros Ath5k Wireless Access Point"
>> article on gentoo-wiki.com[1] before realizing that it was Atheros
>> specific.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Does anyone know whether it's possible to use hostapd with iwlwifi
>> drivers? Is there an alternative access point software I can use?
>
> Sorry, your hardware doesn't support working as an access point.

Thanks for clarifying. No wonder I couldn't find any tutorials
specific to the iwlwifi driver.

Mike

Old 11-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Stroller