Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

Default terminal settings

Hi,

For some reason on my gentoo box, if I try to run some processes in the
background, even if they're not trying to print to the console, they block
until I bring them to the foreground. This is only on my gentoo box, every
other Linux/BSD/nix box I work on does not do this, so I'm assuming that it's
some kind of terminal setting.

Would anyone have any idea what would cause this?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

For some reason on my gentoo box, if I try to run some processes in the
background, even if they're not trying to print to the console, they block
until I bring them to the foreground. This is only on my gentoo box, every
other Linux/BSD/nix box I work on does not do this, so I'm assuming that it's
some kind of terminal setting.

Some examples would be helpful.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Harry Putnam

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> writes:

> On 11/07/2009 02:30 AM, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some reason on my gentoo box, if I try to run some processes in the
>> background, even if they're not trying to print to the console, they block
>> until I bring them to the foreground. This is only on my gentoo box, every
>> other Linux/BSD/nix box I work on does not do this, so I'm assuming that it's
>> some kind of terminal setting.
>
> Some examples would be helpful.

echo $SHELL for sure.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

On 06/11/09 Harry Putnam said:

> > Some examples would be helpful.
>
> echo $SHELL for sure.

It's /bin/bash.

Damn, this actually seems inconsistent. I did a fresh login and background
jobs with output to stdout aren't hanging.

Oh wait, one just did. It started fine...

msoulier@anton:~$ backup_pa.sh &
[1] 15388
msoulier@anton:~$ Backup up remote dirs etc/httpd usr/local/etc git var/www
home/pawsitiveapproach to local file pa_backup.20091107.tar.gz...

msoulier@anton:~$ jobs
[1]+ Running backup_pa.sh &

and then

[1]+ Stopped backup_pa.sh

but if I bring it to the foreground...

msoulier@anton:~$ fg
backup_pa.sh

Hmm, it doesn't seem to be running actually, it looks like it's still
sleeping... All it's doing is running a remote tar over ssh.

My "at" jobs tend to hang for the same reason, but only on that box. I can't
explain it, and I don't know what would control that.

Mike