Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Ian Lee

Default usb-keyboard not working...

Jarry wrote:

Hi,
I carefully followed "Gentoo Linux USB Guide" and tried
everything, but my usb-keyboard is still not working...

I doubt there is hardware problem in keyboard itself,
because it works in bios as well as on lilo-screen, and
it even works when I attach to PS2-port using adapter.

In kernel-config (2.6.22) Support for Host-side USB is
activated, EHCI/OHCI/UHCI HCD support, USB mass storage
support, and USB Human Interface Devide (full HID)
in Generic HID Support.

I can select kernel on lilo screen, but after boot-up
process is finished, my keyboard is dead. I tried to pull
it out, and reconnect, no difference. What can I do more?

Jarry

Is this on the console or in X?
X has recently changed the keyboard and mouse configuration to use HAL

Ian

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
alex ponomarev

If you're talking about X, try to emerge HAL daemon, it's now necessary to work your input devices correctly.
If you're talking about console, try to look trough output of "dmesg | grep 'usb' " there must be something about your USB HID keyboard, may be some errors about it. Also look through "lsusb", is your keyboard mentioned here?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Sebastian Beßler

Am 06.11.2009 22:39, schrieb alex ponomarev:
> If you're talking about X, try to emerge HAL daemon, it's now necessary to
> work your input devices correctly.

Is it?
I have X without hal working here.
As long as it works it can help to make things easier.
But it can be disabled.

Greetings

Sebastian Beßler

Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Harry Putnam

Sebastian Beßler <webmaster@darkmetatron.de> writes:

> Am 06.11.2009 22:39, schrieb alex ponomarev:
>> If you're talking about X, try to emerge HAL daemon, it's now necessary to
>> work your input devices correctly.
>
> Is it?
> I have X without hal working here.
> As long as it works it can help to make things easier.
> But it can be disabled.

True here to... I've been running without hal for a while. At the
most recent update world (3 days ago now) I noticed something wanted
to pull in hal, but quickly put `-hal' under /etc/make.conf USE, and
proceeded without it.

If you've upgraded xorg-server recently, you also need to rebuild and
of the xorg drivers you have installed. I didn't do that at the
upgrade mentioned above and had no mouse keyboard in X either.

First I found all drivers with `eix -Ic |grep driver'

Then re-emerged them all. Rebooted and mouse/keyboard worked in X
then.

I'm running a much newer kernel than what you posted, so not sure how
that effected things.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Jarry

alex ponomarev wrote:

If you're talking about console, try to look trough output of "dmesg | grep
'usb' " there must be something about your USB HID keyboard, may be some
errors about it. Also look through "lsusb", is your keyboard mentioned here?

Sorry, I forgot to say, I'm talking about console.

-----------------------------
obelix ~ # dmesg | grep 'usb'
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [ USB Multimedia Keyboard ] on
usb-0000:00:02.0-1
input: USB HID v1.00 Device [ USB Multimedia Keyboard ] on
usb-0000:00:02.0-1

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

obelix ~ # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 099a:713a Zippy Technology Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

It seems usb-keyboard is there (at least in dmesg output),
but it simply does not work at all. Even NumLock & SysLock
keys do not switch checklights on/off. It is like frozen...

Jarry