Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Where to get /etc/make.conf.example

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday 06 November 2009 16:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Elog is not sending me anything and I wanted to look at
>> /etc/make.conf.example but turns out I don't have one.
>>
>> I thought I might find one in whatever package includes
> /etc/make.conf
>> but `equery belongs /etc/make.conf' comes up dry.
>>
>> Is there some way to get one, short of downloading a stage3 and
>> unpacking it?
>
> $ locate make.conf.example
> /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example

ouch... didn't it used to be in /etc?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 06 November 2009 16:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Elog is not sending me anything and I wanted to look at
>> /etc/make.conf.example but turns out I don't have one.
>>
>> I thought I might find one in whatever package includes
>>
> /etc/make.conf
>
>> but `equery belongs /etc/make.conf' comes up dry.
>>
>> Is there some way to get one, short of downloading a stage3 and
>> unpacking it?
>>

> $ locate make.conf.example
> /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example

And I created a link to it so I could find it easier. I'm not sure
where the old one went too. I thought portage didn't delete things in
the /etc directory?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 06 November 2009 16:52:51 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Friday 06 November 2009 16:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> Elog is not sending me anything and I wanted to look at
> >> /etc/make.conf.example but turns out I don't have one.
> >>
> >> I thought I might find one in whatever package includes
> >
> > /etc/make.conf
> >
> >> but `equery belongs /etc/make.conf' comes up dry.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to get one, short of downloading a stage3 and
> >> unpacking it?
> >
> > $ locate make.conf.example
> > /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
>
> ouch... didn't it used to be in /etc?

Yes, I remember something like that. It likely got moved around - it's
an example only so shouldn't be config-protected

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Remy Blank

Dale wrote:
> And I created a link to it so I could find it easier.

Ditto :-)

> I thought portage didn't delete things in the /etc directory?

It does, but only if you haven't edited the file since it was put there.

-- Remy

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 06 November 2009, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 06 November 2009 16:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> Elog is not sending me anything and I wanted to look at
> >> /etc/make.conf.example but turns out I don't have one.
> >>
> >> I thought I might find one in whatever package includes
> >
> > /etc/make.conf
> >
> >> but `equery belongs /etc/make.conf' comes up dry.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to get one, short of downloading a stage3 and
> >> unpacking it?
> >
> > $ locate make.conf.example
> > /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
>
> And I created a link to it so I could find it easier. I'm not sure
> where the old one went too. I thought portage didn't delete things in
> the /etc directory?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

ls -lhtr /etc/make.conf.example
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21K 18. Jun 2008 /etc/make.conf.example