Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
walt

Default was X crashes with nvidia-173 driver now X crash on eee w/intel driver

On 11/05/2009 09:06 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:

>> Will see how it works.
>
> Not very well. About an hour after emerging the 2.9.1 drivers the
> screen went black and I had to reboot to get back to the desktop. I
> notice it only seems to happen while scrolling a window in firefox.
> I've left the unit on overnight with no problem. When I get back to
> ctrl-alt-f1. there is this msg repeated down the console.
>
> Gdk - Warning*** XID collision trouble ahead.
>
> FWIW, there is this tidbit in the boot console:
> [...]
> * Checking battery state...
> error: libhal_ctx_set_dbus_connection: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
> Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
> file or directory

Hm. You should have that socket. Do you have a system dbus running?:

3387 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM
walt

On 11/06/2009 01:08 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Oh wait, just rebooted, the message is still there but a few lines
> below there is this:
>
> *Starting D-BUS system messagebus . . .
>
> which I remember seeing before but forgot to mention. I ran
> dbus-daemon again as before with the same outcome.

If dbus is in your default runlevel you should have a system dbus
running.

$eselect rc list default
Init scripts to be started by runlevel default
dbus <===========
dcron
hald
hotplug
local
net.eth0
netmount
ntp-client
smartd
sshd
sysklogd

$ps ax | grep dbus
3387 ? Ss 0:03 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
5432 tty4 S 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
5433 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

You can do '/etc/init.d/dbus restart' to look for error messages.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 AM
walt

On 11/06/2009 04:35 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> So far tried with hald in, dbus out; hald in dbus in; hald out dbus
> out; hald out dbus in, default level. All four permutations.
>
> Same error message, except when hald is out and dbus is in, it's
> printed twice with a mention of hald not running.
>
>> $ps ax | grep dbus
>> 3387 ? Ss 0:03 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
>> 5432 tty4 S 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
>> --exit-with-session
>> 5433 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
>> --print-address 7 --session
>
> I get only one line(hald in, dbus in default level):
>
> 3023 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
>

>> You can do '/etc/init.d/dbus restart' to look for error messages.
>
> With hald out there is two lines: Stopping D-BUS ...Starting D-BUS
> With hald in there are two additions: Stopping Hardware Abstraction
> Layer...Starting Hardware etc.

Looks like everything is okay now. Are you still seeing that error
message about dbus socket not found?